View Single Post
qoncept
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM

This was my 5th Tool show and once again I was disappointed. This time more than ever, because I realized it was a great show and the difference is me. The first Tool show I saw completely blew my mind and it was the first memorable show I'd ever been to. I've been going ever since hoping to match that experience and I finally understand it just won't happen again. I was in a different frame of mind and connected to the music better, and now I truly believe that sitting in a balcony (SITTING) and absorbing the entire show is the best way to see Tool -- I just don't do that anymore. We were against the front rail at Lollapalooza last year and in addition to being a genuinely weak show because of the time constraints, I just can't devote enough of my attention to the band in that kind of environment. Worked great for Green Jelly, though. We were about 20 rows back on the floor for this show.

Any way, like I said, awesome show, but I think the biggest thing that's keeping it from being better is the lack of new material. I was very surprised when I read the setlists for the first few shows that there wasn't a single new song or even a cover being played. I do really appreciate the extended versions of the songs and the intermission. I feel like I've heard basically the same setlist 5 times now, though, with a couple songs changed each time.

We drove from eastern Iowa and I didn't care much at all for the venue. I'm about 5'10" and my wife's about 5'4", and from our seats it wasn't easy for either of us to see. And what's the deal with folding chairs on the floor, anyway? GA would have been better for everyone. My best guess is it would be too hard to keep anyone in the balconies if it was GA. Either way, I thought for sure the seats were done for during the solo in 46&2. I've seen Tool in Cedar Rapids IA, Pensacola, Biloxi and at Lolla in Chicago and thought they were all better venues.

I really don't understand where this tour is coming from. When tickets were first announced and we found out they were going to be recording, I thought for sure it would be in support of an album, either after its release or as a teaser. As it is, I would have rather waited another year for a tour with new material.

Last edited by qoncept; 06-27-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.25.2010 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center

This was my 5th Tool show and once again I was disappointed. This time more than ever, because I realized it was a great show and the difference is me. The first Tool show I saw completely blew my mind and it was the first memorable show I'd ever been to. I've been going ever since hoping to match that experience and I finally understand it just won't happen again. I was in a different frame of mind and connected to the music better, and now I truly believe that sitting in a balcony (SITTING) and absorbing the entire show is the best way to see Tool -- I just don't do that anymore. We were against the front rail at Lollapalooza last year and in addition to being a genuinely weak show because of the time constraints, I just can't devote enough of my attention to the band in that kind of environment. Worked great for Green Jelly, though. We were about 20 rows back on the floor for this show.

Any way, like I said, awesome show, but I think the biggest thing that's keeping it from being better is the lack of new material. I was very surprised when I read the setlists for the first few shows that there wasn't a single new song or even a cover being played. I do really appreciate the extended versions of the songs and the intermission. I feel like I've heard basically the same setlist 5 times now, though, with a couple songs changed each time.

We drove from eastern Iowa and I didn't care much at all for the venue. I'm about 5'10" and my wife's about 5'4", and from our seats it wasn't easy for either of us to see. And what's the deal with folding chairs on the floor, anyway? GA would have been better for everyone. My best guess is it would be too hard to keep anyone in the balconies if it was GA. Either way, I thought for sure the seats were done for during the solo in 46&2. I've seen Tool in Cedar Rapids IA, Pensacola, Biloxi and at Lolla in Chicago and thought they were all better venues.

I really don't understand where this tour is coming from. When tickets were first announced and we found out they were going to be recording, I thought for sure it would be in support of an album, either after its release or as a teaser. As it is, I would have rather waited another year for a tour with new material.

Last edited by qoncept; 06-27-2010 at 11:59 AM..
OFFLINE |