View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
the wrong foundation

This is one of my favorite Tool songs. It is dark, yet uplifting at the same time. An effect Tool has mastered. I have been an ardent fan of Tool since I was around 13, and yet I did not fully realize the messages of their lyrics until I was around 19. This song in a way reminds me a little of myself. As a kid I was taught to go to church and blindly obey authority. Eventually I joined the service for the past 6 years and despite the formal conformity training I was given, I couldn't help but figure things out for myself, yet I continued to blindly believe in authority. It was'nt until my younger brother went to college for a degree in political science that I began to realize that everthing I had been taught my whole life was wrong, and that I had comforted myself with these images of a false utopian scociety, which we are not! It was like a flood, and I was standing on low grounds, that I thought were high. At the same time my eyes were opened and I sought to inform myself about what was going on around me rather than rely on false images and media banter that we see everyday. Now I amstanding on ground of my own making, and the foundation I have built using my own reason is much stronger than any cotrived religious or political ideology. I have this band to thank for that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote