View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 AM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/22 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrobert6 View Post
This was my fourth Tool show and my second this year. I saw them at the Fox and I believe that was a much better show than the one at the Palace last night. In all honesty, this was the worst Tool show I've seen. Now take that with a small grain of salt. A bad Tool show in my opinion is 85% better than most of the other concerts you will ever go to. All in all I thought the band seemed especially removed from the crowd. Maynard spoke very little during the show. The stage compared to other shows I've seen was unusually bland. The lasers were pretty unimpressive, I think I seen a better laser show at Dio in 1983, but I digress. The set list was an exact copy of the one in Ohio the night before, which kind of took the surprise out of the show. It was nice to hear the Pot, Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, which I've not seen them perform before. For any Tool fans out there who caught the Lateralus tour, that show was much better, with more visuals, more effects and they dug a little deeper into the catalog. Anyway...I'm glad I got to see them at the Fox or I would have been pretty disappointed with this tour, and we all know how long it takes for them to release another album.

I agree with you all the way. This show was definitely lacking the punch of the Lateralus and Aenima days. No songs from Undertow, and the visuals were not nearly as good as I expected. Anyone remember the last Palace show in 2001 when they had Odysseus Labyrint (the 2 contortionists from the Schism video) hanging naked from the ceiling by only 1 rope wrapped around their feet? I guess the days of really trying to impress us are over. With that said though, it was still a good show.

Maynard needs to stop getting further away from the crowd if he wants everyone to be louder than Ohio.

Last edited by Rockotaco1; 09-24-2006 at 07:16 AM..
OFFLINE |