View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/16 - Athens, GRC - Olympic Fencing Hall

* this is my review posted also in OPINION

well .. TOOL in Athens ..
that was a nice thing to kn0w 3 months ago .. and just 3 months after i first saw them last June in Milan...

well lot of things have been said about this gig here after last Saturday ...
there is a TOOL orgasm taking place in diferent forums .
so i guess i have to clear first a think ...
this that follows is MY opinion and it only has to do with my experience but i'll try to post the facts as they really took place last Saturday.

Fencing Hall : the place is for sure not recomended for any concerts .. we have seen others in the past there and we knew what was coming. the place used to be a GARAGE for the airoplanes (the area is the old Athens international airport) so just imagine of a huge place with a stage placed inside. Big Star Promotion (aka DIDI music) earned a LOT without giving nothing. there are some infos flowing Round that TOOL asked for this venue just bcause there would be fresh air inside. well not to forgot that the HUGGEEEEE door was open and everyone was freezing. i think that we should rename the place to .. Arktic F Hall (f= Fuckin ). After that you should be a basketball player or a giant if you wanted to see anything that was happening there. there is only one word that is suitable for the place ... SUCKED !! i was really desapointed but i couldn't do anything about that but. so i waited there to see what was coming.

SOUND: the sound was far too good in comparison with the gig in Milan. i have earlier talked to a friend that was workin as a sound assistant there , so i new that i should be standing in front the sound engineering booth or behind it. and this is what i did... At Mastodon i was in the pit just infront and when TOOL came on stage i went at the back just bcause i wanted also to be able to see. The sound as i said it was GOOD enough for TOOL maybe even more than what i was expecting for. The bass was full ..i could hear Maynard loud and clear and it's only the mistakes that the band did that ruined sometimes the sound.Well i do believe that as for the sound we took the best we could in this place, maybe even better . (IMO)

Mastodon: Am not into Mastodon at all ..so i can't say anything about them. The sound was a mess. and this is not a fault of the place or whatever. they had the same speakers as TOOL , the same console so i guess it was their sound engine guy who did it.. well ..fuck em...i give a shit about them anyway..

TOOL: .... TOOL on stage again infront my "not able to see anything" eyes!!! soon i realised that all my efforts to be somewhere that i could at least see them weren't enough, so i compromised my self of watching the higher prt of the stage and maybe from time to time if i was lucky enough the band also. i closed my eyes and turned my head up and just stayed there listening to them. as i said the sound was good enough for me and everyone else beside me...
If the venue was better i could say that this was THE BEST CONCERT of 06 for me. The sound was everywhere taking us into TOOL's spiritual paths like 3 months ago in Milan. Although this was much better emotionally speaking for me and the sound was far better than in Milan.
And then came the laser/light show. This thing was fuckin breathtaking ..... under the sounds of Wings ... well it totally blowed my mind away...
Highlights were for sure WINGS .... Lateralus (14 mins!!!!) with Mastodon on stage .. AENIMA was far the best.
As for the guys... Justin and Carey were fuckin rocking and it's so pity that i didn't have good eye contact with them. Adam as usually was playing like a demon although he did some mistakes (!) .. and Maynard... well what can i say about him... He wasn't at his best but when this guy sings is like nothing else.
I really nJoyed them ... no matter what others are saying they fucked my mind for good this time, even under these problems (venue etc).
WELL DONE GUYS !!!

well ... what can i say ... it depence of what you was expecting 4... i know that it could be under better circumstances but i think that in comparison with the one i saw in Milan...this show was fuckin PERFECT 4 me.

TOOL on soundchecking: well ... Maynard is a really asshole... he always have his bodyguard with even when he walks to the toilet. When he is soundchecking he doesn't want anyone beeing in his sight. What da fuck ... This Britney Spears behaviour is so annoying ... .. and still wondering ...where are the "preaching" early years of his??? where is the communication with the crowd that i was used in by watching dowloaded videos ?? he's living the AMERICAN DREAM guys ...face him as a mortal bcause that's all he is.... and don't expect anything else from him...
i do believe in the rest of the band though!!!

PS. i'd like to thank my Turkish friends Erdam, Didem, Mercan for making this gig even better.. it was so nice having you there guys.
hope you nJoyed it as much as we did.

well ..that's it... hopping for one more gig somewhere ...

OH! and something else... FUCK YOU all miserable monkeys that spreading yr negative vibes to the experience we faced ... :))))

and i Will tell NO lies ...

Last edited by iQfish; 12-21-2006 at 07:31 AM..
OFFLINE |