View Single Post
citizenundersuspicion
02-03-2012, 01:17 PM

This is one of Tool's Greatest Hits tours-- literally, ie a majority of the songs have been released as radio-play singles-- yet, judging by this show, it doesnt matter how many times I've heard these tunes, they are playing really really well, fresh and energetic with a nice flow to the setlist. The sound in section 2 behind soundboard was fantastic, esp considering the size of this place.

SETLIST:

The Hooker, Jambi, Pushit, 46&2 alone paid for the ticket-- incredibly played, clear and tight.

I'm one of those obsessives. I already knew we were getting the Sober/Parabola set because they had done T/L for the previous 4 shows. Really wanted to see T/L and I'm not a fan of Sober-- but the trade off for Parabol/a was awesome, love that tune.

Grabbed a beer during Sober and returned to witness the DJ section-- truly awful, uninteresting and overbearing, very long. I don't like DJ's/turntable laptops anywhere near metal bands-- and Tool in particular. Listening to them since early 90's, I often saw them get inadvertenly lumped in with alot of that rap-metal bullshit that was prevelant in mid-late 90s. Like "Yo man, I crank my woofers with fucking 311, some Cypress bro, I got Life Is Peachy-- and TOOL MAN. Can't pronounce that shit though." Whatever, college was a waste of time.

So yeah I was pretty disappointed when I didn't hear opening notes of Parabol after Lateralus-- it took me about 3 minutes to get over it. I mean, kids in Cambodia are still getting blown up by UXOs. And the show was sick all around-- Tool can play the shit out of these well-worn tunes but, as this concert proved, keep them timeless and interesting.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.01.2012 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Izod Centre

This is one of Tool's Greatest Hits tours-- literally, ie a majority of the songs have been released as radio-play singles-- yet, judging by this show, it doesnt matter how many times I've heard these tunes, they are playing really really well, fresh and energetic with a nice flow to the setlist. The sound in section 2 behind soundboard was fantastic, esp considering the size of this place.

SETLIST:

The Hooker, Jambi, Pushit, 46&2 alone paid for the ticket-- incredibly played, clear and tight.

I'm one of those obsessives. I already knew we were getting the Sober/Parabola set because they had done T/L for the previous 4 shows. Really wanted to see T/L and I'm not a fan of Sober-- but the trade off for Parabol/a was awesome, love that tune.

Grabbed a beer during Sober and returned to witness the DJ section-- truly awful, uninteresting and overbearing, very long. I don't like DJ's/turntable laptops anywhere near metal bands-- and Tool in particular. Listening to them since early 90's, I often saw them get inadvertenly lumped in with alot of that rap-metal bullshit that was prevelant in mid-late 90s. Like "Yo man, I crank my woofers with fucking 311, some Cypress bro, I got Life Is Peachy-- and TOOL MAN. Can't pronounce that shit though." Whatever, college was a waste of time.

So yeah I was pretty disappointed when I didn't hear opening notes of Parabol after Lateralus-- it took me about 3 minutes to get over it. I mean, kids in Cambodia are still getting blown up by UXOs. And the show was sick all around-- Tool can play the shit out of these well-worn tunes but, as this concert proved, keep them timeless and interesting.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote