View Single Post
Mlauri85
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM

This was my fourth Tool show and although not my favorite, I was pleased overall. First, let me get my gripes out of the way. The NJ/NY crowd was just terrible and basically brought the experience down automatically for me and my companions. Standing in the aisles where you do not belong and talking loudly over the band is reprehensible at a Tool show. Fuck these people – they should not be allowed in. In addition, it’s my own opinion that the band probably doesn’t love NJ either, and therefore skimped on the set-list. The sound quality overall was “ehh” for me. I didn’t have great seats, so I’m not going to complain much beyond that – but I would have liked to hear Maynard’s vocal track bumped up a bit more in the mix. However, at some points, he projected his voice above the band and it was just pure magic (like during Pushit – And if I say I may fade like a sigh…etc.) Sometimes I feel that he prefers to be “tucked in” the mix and not super up-front.
The setlist was a bit shorter than other shows on the tour, which is obviously going to be disappointing for anyone hoping to hear Ticks and Leeches or some other rarity. However, it was well-balanced. Pushit and Schism were my two favorites, along with Lateralus. I loved that they opened with Hooker – which is just a ballsy move in and of itself, and was a nice touch for older fans like myself.
As far as “special moments”, I loved the drum dual between Danny and Dave, and HATED the Sober break. What the hell was that? Good time to take a piss, if you ask me, but I’ll forgive them. That “new song” jam sounded much like 46&2…time will tell what that was. Wouldn’t be surprised if they were hinting at a new tune, like they did with Wings for Marie back in the Lateralus days on tour.
So overall, great show – how could it not be when you’re seeing Tool? I love how everyone has their own interpretation of the show and their own personal/spiritual expectations…although one concert can’t please everyone in every way, you gotta appreciate what a great experience we all had last night.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.01.2012 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Izod Centre

This was my fourth Tool show and although not my favorite, I was pleased overall. First, let me get my gripes out of the way. The NJ/NY crowd was just terrible and basically brought the experience down automatically for me and my companions. Standing in the aisles where you do not belong and talking loudly over the band is reprehensible at a Tool show. Fuck these people – they should not be allowed in. In addition, it’s my own opinion that the band probably doesn’t love NJ either, and therefore skimped on the set-list. The sound quality overall was “ehh” for me. I didn’t have great seats, so I’m not going to complain much beyond that – but I would have liked to hear Maynard’s vocal track bumped up a bit more in the mix. However, at some points, he projected his voice above the band and it was just pure magic (like during Pushit – And if I say I may fade like a sigh…etc.) Sometimes I feel that he prefers to be “tucked in” the mix and not super up-front.
The setlist was a bit shorter than other shows on the tour, which is obviously going to be disappointing for anyone hoping to hear Ticks and Leeches or some other rarity. However, it was well-balanced. Pushit and Schism were my two favorites, along with Lateralus. I loved that they opened with Hooker – which is just a ballsy move in and of itself, and was a nice touch for older fans like myself.
As far as “special moments”, I loved the drum dual between Danny and Dave, and HATED the Sober break. What the hell was that? Good time to take a piss, if you ask me, but I’ll forgive them. That “new song” jam sounded much like 46&2…time will tell what that was. Wouldn’t be surprised if they were hinting at a new tune, like they did with Wings for Marie back in the Lateralus days on tour.
So overall, great show – how could it not be when you’re seeing Tool? I love how everyone has their own interpretation of the show and their own personal/spiritual expectations…although one concert can’t please everyone in every way, you gotta appreciate what a great experience we all had last night.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote