View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/05 - Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center

Well... that was an experience. First a setlist for those craving it. Yes it was the same as always.

Stinkfist (O.T.R.M.)
The Pot
-Nice little jam intro to..
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (Crazy Double Time Version)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
-Intermission
Lateralus
-Very cool keyboard/guitar jam intro to...
Vicarious
Aenima

This show was a kind of late birthday gift for my mom. I came in from out of town to take her to this show, cutting class. It was a great ride up listening to 10KDays, and eventually getting to Hartford, parking and waiting outside to try and sell the two extra tickets we had. That didn't work so well. We got in, saw the last two songs Isis did. For being loud and having some vocals I wasn't fond of, they really weren't all that bad. I dug that last song they did, whatever it was, if anyone knows.

Tool took the stage at 9:15. Our seats, against the wall in section 123, were not great, but better than bleechers. Maynard was wearing his cowboy hat and ATF jacket, but he lost the hat about halfway through the first song. The awesomeness began Maynard saying, "Wake up!" and went right into it with "Stinkfist," and I was expecting the O.T.R.M. I heard from the Lateralus tour in Boston. And sure enough, I was right, and right about then I knew they weren't changing the setlist. Until later on in the night, that was about all Maynard said to us, but it doesn't matter because this song just shredded it open.

"The Pot" came next, and the timing seemed a little different than normal, but overall the song just went exactly as it should. From where I was I got the feeling that people didn't know the "new" album, as I seemed to be the only one singing along.

Next came this super intro that kinda reminded me of a more electronic version of "Merkaba." I was very happy.

My mom was really hoping for "Forty Six & 2," and I decided not to tell her they'd play it for suspense. When they did, she was happily surprised, but I missed the beginning because security was taking care of a situation with some drunken peoples.

It was right around then that I really got the feeling that the crowd was bad. I wasn't on the floor, I know, but from up on ground level I got the feeling that way too much alcohol was being consumed. They were all about banging their heads to the music and screaming, "Fucking Tool!" (Note: They apparently don't have any sense of rhythm with their headbanging when hammered.) Maynard's lack of communication kinda gave me the idea he didn't like the crowd either.

"Jambi" This song is amazing live. My neck hurt from this song alone. Adam and Justin played off of each other so naturally it was mind-boggling. That's all I gotta say.

"Schism" came next. I heard something about a double-time middle part but goddamn! I had no idea it was so... well, fast. Everyone was perfectly in tune with each other, especially Danny. Danny's drumming is always a sight to see but during this faster Schism, you really gotta sit back and marvel at the unity these guys have, following each other perfectly to the note even during something seemingly so chaotic. I hope to hear a recorded version of this somewhere.

During "Lost Keys" I thought they'd play the vocal sample exchange between the nurse and doctor. They didn't. But it doesn't matter, because "Rosetta Stoned" was unfuckingbelievable. Every note was perfect, and Maynard had a little vocal box that he used for the voice-distortion parts right alongside his regular mic. However, halfway through the screen above the middle of the arena started to mess up, and continued to do so all night. :(

All I have to say for "Wings/Days" is that musically, it was the most impressive thing I've seen in years. Every note perfect. Every note full of the deep emotion you really could feel. Visually, with the fog and lasers and lightning effects, I was in awe. But the crowd was just fucking awful. Everybody in the stands were screaming and going up to get more beer during "Wings," like it was a little jam, and when "10,000 Days" started, they would cheer like it was a song they knew. People overall just made me angry because they couldn't sit and really remove themselves enough to enjoy the emotional experiences of these two songs.

Intermission = Lots of Cellphones standing in for lighters... and then lots of lighters. Lots of lighters.

Before "Lateralus," Maynard finally spoke. What did he say? "Pittsburgh was louder," to which we tried to match. In response he said "They got 'tits' in their name, man, c'mon" Again, not enough people really loving the show enough to make enough noise.

"Lateralus"... Wow. This song was just amazing. It was last tour as well, but the addition of the extra visuals really made the experience more engrossing. I was totally taken away by the intensity of this song, as I always am. A must-see live.

There was a long music segue here. It had a lot of Maynard on the keyboard and Adam messing around the same equipment he used during "Jambi." Whatever it is, I wanna hear more, because it was really interesting.

"Vicarious" was next, and to tell you the truth I had my doubts. I'm not the hugest fan of this song when it comes to the rest of the album, but my god it kicks so much ass live. Everyone was really into it.

However, right before the last song of the night, Maynard had one last shot to make. "Next stop? Jerrrrseeyyyy! (Insert boos from the crowd) Peace. Out." And so they went into "Aenima" on a kinda sour note. I really kinda felt like this was Maynard showing his displeasure with the crowd as a whole. It's sad, he seemed in such a good mood when he came out.

Oh yeah. "Aenima" is still one the greatest songs to see live. No doubt whatsoever. Still very powerful, and because seemingly everyone in the crowd knew it, it was the perfect way to end the show.

Overall, the band was still at their musical apex. Absolutely. There is no band out there that I would see over Tool. They are the best show in town without any question. While this wasn't as magical an experience as seeing them on the Lateralus tour, it was still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Even if the crowd disappointed me.
OFFLINE |