View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Section 107, Row B, Seats 3 and 4 (AMAZING VIEW)

Late to post, but I wanted adequate time to reflect on Thursday night's show. I'm a noob to the forums, but not to Tool. Albeit this was only my second show, (first was Lateralus - Dallas, 2001); I have been enjoying their talents since Undertow. It was however, my wife's first TOOL show, and she was awestruck. She turned to me on several occasions during the show and told we how incredible they were. I thought to myself, "I told ya!" You see, there is a little animosity with her regarding TOOL concerts. We were both going to go in 2001, but I renegged at the last minute and she ended up going out of town the week of the show. I bought a floor ticket the day of, and went by myself. She will never let me live that one down. Yep. Pissed!

Here's some ramblings...

ISIS:
Who are these guys? They were great. I really enjoyed their performance. Sound was muddy though. The low drones on the keys when coupled with the bass drowned out the vox, and treble was nowhere to be heard. It was obvious the drummer's kit was not miced well. The cymbal overheads, hi-hat and snare were barely audible. Despite these shortcomings, I found myself wanting more from these guys. Their 30 minute set was too short in my opinion.

TOOL:
Upon entering the arena, I was pleased to see that Danny's kit was not placed too far right of stage. I was concerned that I wouldn't get full view of his power and articulation. Wrong. The kit was perched nicely off center stage. I was transfixed.

During Forty-six and Two I was drumming the entire song on my hips to the amusement of those standing around me. At times I looked back and they were staring at me. Hey, I'm a drummer and I can't help it. (Nothing like practicing your TOOL chops while at the show.) I had worked myself into a writhing trance, when this blasted chick climbs over the seat into our row and trips and falls over into the row below, breaking my rhythm. As I snapped out of it to figure out what the fuck, I noticed that the cannabis had given me cottenmouth and dried my lips to my gums. Nice. I can only imagine my grimmaces as I hammered out the song looking like a undulating harelip.

During Rosetta Stoned, the same chick was back. Same thing, I'm feeling every sound exude it's energy through me, and here she comes climbing over seats. This time she lights in our row right in front of my wife and starts shushing everybody saying, "Everyone just be quiet, just be quiet..." On and on she went, Captain Obvious on the Ecstacy. My wife offers her a drink of ice water, to which she thankfully took. [This was fucking classic...] As the wasted chick begins to drink, my wife tips the cup and douses her with ice water. She then told her to go sit down, chill out and enjoy the music. X-chick then complied like a scolded child and went away.

This show was on par with the best of the best live performances I have ever seen; regardless of MJK's lingering illness. There is little to say about the performance that hasn't been said. My only criticism is the setlist. I would have loved to here Disposition, Right in Two, Eulogy, Undertow, Pushit, or Third Eye. But hey, we got Wings/10K Days. Can't complain too much.

Finally, I have to say that the Dallas crowd seemed very appreciative of the performance, and I think the band acknowledged it. Thanks for the experience guys.