View Single Post
0ctopod's Avatar 0ctopod
08-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
Logically, if he did not believe in the Judeo/Christian orthodoxy, then I would imagine that he wouldn't ever give it much thought, much less sing and voice his discontent as often and strongly as he does. By saying, F your God, you would be validating the existence of said God.
...or you could be pissing on someone else's beliefs, maybe? Using biblical tropes such as "angels on the sideline" does not mean that he "believes" that they literally exist. It's possible (and more likely) that he's using satire to poke fun at the self-righteous who believe they are doing God's will by going to war.

Quote:
You can't be mad at a God you don't believe exists.
But is he really speaking to God, or his mother? I don't think he's addressing God at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any clearly direct statement towards God in Tool's catalog.

Quote:
I can't begin to allure to what James may or not believe, practice, or subscribe to. I do however, think its obvious that he holds a little grudge against the Judeo/Christian ideology of God.
I would like lyrical examples of what you're talking about.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The religious ambiguity of the great Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
Logically, if he did not believe in the Judeo/Christian orthodoxy, then I would imagine that he wouldn't ever give it much thought, much less sing and voice his discontent as often and strongly as he does. By saying, F your God, you would be validating the existence of said God.
...or you could be pissing on someone else's beliefs, maybe? Using biblical tropes such as "angels on the sideline" does not mean that he "believes" that they literally exist. It's possible (and more likely) that he's using satire to poke fun at the self-righteous who believe they are doing God's will by going to war.

Quote:
You can't be mad at a God you don't believe exists.
But is he really speaking to God, or his mother? I don't think he's addressing God at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any clearly direct statement towards God in Tool's catalog.

Quote:
I can't begin to allure to what James may or not believe, practice, or subscribe to. I do however, think its obvious that he holds a little grudge against the Judeo/Christian ideology of God.
I would like lyrical examples of what you're talking about.