View Single Post
U N Owen
08-11-2007, 10:15 AM

I can't help but notice the religious ambiguity of some of Tool's "Judeo-Christian" songs/lyrics. I surmise that they express some degree of reverence or at least a fascination to the denomination and some of its values; but I wouldn't deem them to be totally devout. Since Maynard is the main lyricist, I believe it is because of that fact alone that there is any mention at all of God, Angels, etc. that Tool incorporates in their music because of Maynard's upbringing in his family's strong traditional beliefs. The reason I stated the religious amibuity is although some of the songs are about or related to God, he also blasphemes God by pairing profane expressions to the name of the holiest of holies; though they could just be a preconcieved choice of words to appeal to those die-hard metal fans (Like me!) to convey that cynical response us metal heads can relate with. If one were to attempt to analyze the complex inner mind of the great (good stuff) Maynard, one could say that the cryptic religious messages he scribes are tailored to mirror the spiritual quandary he's in. Thus he may feel that he might have strayed of the path of rightiousness because of the choices he's made in his past yet still holds steadfast to his faith as far as exibiting it in spoken and written word to the masses via music. But then again the lyrics could be nothing more than utter nonsense they manifest to amuse themselve and make them filthy dirty stinking rich; In which case all i would be doing now is spewing forth a load of pasturized elelphant shit all over the internet when I could be doing somethin more productive like chugging down some of this good ol jager. That, my friends, is for you to decide.

Last edited by U N Owen; 08-11-2007 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Location: In the untangible physical realm, where time is linear
Bincount™: 0
The religious ambiguity of the great Maynard

I can't help but notice the religious ambiguity of some of Tool's "Judeo-Christian" songs/lyrics. I surmise that they express some degree of reverence or at least a fascination to the denomination and some of its values; but I wouldn't deem them to be totally devout. Since Maynard is the main lyricist, I believe it is because of that fact alone that there is any mention at all of God, Angels, etc. that Tool incorporates in their music because of Maynard's upbringing in his family's strong traditional beliefs. The reason I stated the religious amibuity is although some of the songs are about or related to God, he also blasphemes God by pairing profane expressions to the name of the holiest of holies; though they could just be a preconcieved choice of words to appeal to those die-hard metal fans (Like me!) to convey that cynical response us metal heads can relate with. If one were to attempt to analyze the complex inner mind of the great (good stuff) Maynard, one could say that the cryptic religious messages he scribes are tailored to mirror the spiritual quandary he's in. Thus he may feel that he might have strayed of the path of rightiousness because of the choices he's made in his past yet still holds steadfast to his faith as far as exibiting it in spoken and written word to the masses via music. But then again the lyrics could be nothing more than utter nonsense they manifest to amuse themselve and make them filthy dirty stinking rich; In which case all i would be doing now is spewing forth a load of pasturized elelphant shit all over the internet when I could be doing somethin more productive like chugging down some of this good ol jager. That, my friends, is for you to decide.

Last edited by U N Owen; 08-11-2007 at 10:50 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote