View Single Post
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
05-31-2006, 06:48 PM

Well, "born to bear" is also "beared (born) to bear". So pick your poison.

More from www.dictionary.com:

Thanks to the vagaries of English spelling, bear has two past participles: born and borne. Traditionally, born is used only in passive constructions referring to birth: I was born in Chicago. For all other uses, including active constructions referring to birth, borne is the standard form: She has borne both her children at home. I have borne his insolence with the patience of a saint.

For what its worth. If this is right, then if "born" is the correct lyric, then the character must see himself as "born" (i.e. was given birth to) for the purpose of bearing witness to the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It. I am not sure I'm buying that. He says this shit never happens to him, and he says "they chose me!" in seeming awe. Saying you're "born to do something" usually means you're damn good at it (Michael Jordan was "born" to play basketball, for example). This guy knows he's a fuck-up (to "shit the bed again", he laments, is "typical"). So I'm going with "Borne to bear" because its the "standard form" of the past participle, not to mention it sounds more, well, poetic.

[P.S. This is a message for those who choose to hear it. For those who do not, well, go over to the thread arguing whether he says "allright then" or "allrighty then" and knock yourself out.]

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 08:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #626
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Lyric: "Born to bear" is wrong

Well, "born to bear" is also "beared (born) to bear". So pick your poison.

More from www.dictionary.com:

Thanks to the vagaries of English spelling, bear has two past participles: born and borne. Traditionally, born is used only in passive constructions referring to birth: I was born in Chicago. For all other uses, including active constructions referring to birth, borne is the standard form: She has borne both her children at home. I have borne his insolence with the patience of a saint.

For what its worth. If this is right, then if "born" is the correct lyric, then the character must see himself as "born" (i.e. was given birth to) for the purpose of bearing witness to the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It. I am not sure I'm buying that. He says this shit never happens to him, and he says "they chose me!" in seeming awe. Saying you're "born to do something" usually means you're damn good at it (Michael Jordan was "born" to play basketball, for example). This guy knows he's a fuck-up (to "shit the bed again", he laments, is "typical"). So I'm going with "Borne to bear" because its the "standard form" of the past participle, not to mention it sounds more, well, poetic.

[P.S. This is a message for those who choose to hear it. For those who do not, well, go over to the thread arguing whether he says "allright then" or "allrighty then" and knock yourself out.]

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 08:26 PM..
OFFLINE |