View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
This from Metallica.com

Kirk with Tool!
8/24/2006
[ back ]

Kirk gives us his thoughts on jamming with Tool.

"Having just had an incredible experience jamming with my friends in Tool, I have this to report - it was one of the most profound jamming experiences I have ever encountered ! We all played a show together in Korea and I was bummed that I was missing the show as I was getting ready for our own set. I knew they were on the same flight as I was to Hawaii so I talked to Adam and told him that I was going to check them out. I gave him my number and we had dinner the next night. He also invited me to come out on stage and play "Sober" with them and I instantly said yes! He mentioned that the band even worked out a new part for me to solo through!

Photo by John Marshall

"The next night I watched the show and when it came time to play the song. I plugged into Adam's spare amp and he gave me the look -it was that musician- to- musician look of let's get fucking serious!! So I turned it on big time!! We played some feedback together which segued into some crazy dissonance thing that only Adam can do. Then we launched into the song. I said to Adam before the show that he could do all the sound coloring and I'll just take the part in the middle. When it came time for me to play I was so locked into the vibe that I started really quietly while building the solo. By the last third of the solo I turned on Adam's delay setting and played some really high notes that felt like the top of my head just shot off! I could feel the energy in the room and felt like everyone was with me (except the one guy who slammed me on the tool website who said I was drunk, out of key, and kissed Adam! Just goes to show that he was probably jealous and harbored some unwanted feelings for Adam himself!). Afterwards I was surprised to here that the guys in the band enjoyed it so much that they had to hug me right there on stage! I left the stage and they proceeded to play the rest of their set. It was incredible and I am the hugest Tool fan. So I had to run out and do the we're not worthy thing, because we are not!!

Photo by John Marshall

"After the second show they had a day off and we all went surfing (except Maynard ). Adam said I was welcome back anytime, and I told him I've been known to follow bands around on the road so don't be surprised if I show up in Bumfuck whatever!! After the show Adam gave me a nice gift for playing with them and that was a first too.

Photo by John Marshall

"On a different note, the shows in Asia were fuckin great!!

"Thanks and Cheers!
KH"
OFFLINE |