View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/18 - Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Concert Hall

Review of 8/18 show:

OK, this was my first real TOOL show (saw them at Ozzfest in 98), so despite what anyone else thinks about the setlist, it was the first time I’ve heard most of these songs live and I thought it was a great show.

It was in the Blaisdell concert hall, which only holds about 2100 people and seemed like the kind of place you’d go to see a play or hear an orchestra (not that I’ve done either). The first thing I noticed was that the people standing around outside waiting were all drinking beer, which seemed odd since there’s an open container law here. But then I realized that they don’t serve beer inside, because the whole place is carpeted, and everyone in line had to chug their drinks before they went inside.

I was sitting in the 4th row, which was awesome, but it’s such a small place that I think everyone had a great seat. The stage was setup with four large video screens in the background that played clips from the video of the song they were playing (for those that had videos) and otherwise showed stuff you might expect to see on a screensaver. Maynard and Danny were in the back center on raised platforms, and Adam and Justin were on either side up front. Maynard had on jeans, sunglasses, and what looked like an ipod strapped around his left arm. He also occasionally donned a straw cowboy hat.

I’d have to say the highlight of the show was when they played Sober (despite being one of my least favorite TOOL songs), Kirk Hammett joined them on guitar and did a pretty good, long solo.

Other songs that stood out to me as being pretty awesome were Jambi, Lateralus, Opiate, and Vicarious. (I’ve been a TOOL fan since Undertow, so I was hoping to hear some of their older stuff). After Opiate, all 4 of them sat in the middle of the stage and seemed to just soak up the cheers from the crowd for a few minutes, then finished off with Vicarious and Aenema.

I’m going to tonight’s show also, and I’ve got a feeling the setlist will be pretty much the same again. I don’t really care if it is, I’ll just get drunk enough that it’ll sound like a whole new show.
OFFLINE |