View Single Post
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
08-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Thanks man, I'm not worried about being right or wrong, it is an interesting verse, one that made me take a closer look at this tune.

It may also be a question of are you born good or are you born bad? Morals seem kind of objective for the most part don't they? "Pure as we begin" to me suggests everyone is born good. If we were moved by will alone, how is it that there is evil in the world with everyone starting out pure? Where does the influence to be evil come from? How can it be innate if we all start out pure? The movie 'Trading Places' comes to mind. I understand it's not reality but the theory of environment impacting judgemnet is interesting. Does ego play a role in turning you bad? That is internal, but again I can't see it not being influenced by the external...
"pure as we begin"
"pure by will alone"
"move by will alone"
"pure as light, return to one"

This says to me that we come into this life pure and leave it pure. But to remain pure during this life we must will it. We must move by will as to be pure. Will is what we choose to do - good or bad. We begin pure, but the nature of the physical life gives us the opportunity to squander that purity. Our brains are imperfect - such is the nature of biology - evolution is never ending and we are at a point where our intellect/ego/desire is too high for common sense. Yet we begin pure - we have the chance to turn this around, we just have to be WILLING.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157
Re: Move by will alone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Thanks man, I'm not worried about being right or wrong, it is an interesting verse, one that made me take a closer look at this tune.

It may also be a question of are you born good or are you born bad? Morals seem kind of objective for the most part don't they? "Pure as we begin" to me suggests everyone is born good. If we were moved by will alone, how is it that there is evil in the world with everyone starting out pure? Where does the influence to be evil come from? How can it be innate if we all start out pure? The movie 'Trading Places' comes to mind. I understand it's not reality but the theory of environment impacting judgemnet is interesting. Does ego play a role in turning you bad? That is internal, but again I can't see it not being influenced by the external...
"pure as we begin"
"pure by will alone"
"move by will alone"
"pure as light, return to one"

This says to me that we come into this life pure and leave it pure. But to remain pure during this life we must will it. We must move by will as to be pure. Will is what we choose to do - good or bad. We begin pure, but the nature of the physical life gives us the opportunity to squander that purity. Our brains are imperfect - such is the nature of biology - evolution is never ending and we are at a point where our intellect/ego/desire is too high for common sense. Yet we begin pure - we have the chance to turn this around, we just have to be WILLING.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote