View Single Post
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Hey yeah! I like that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I'm leaning towards Carbonatedgravy's idea more at this point, as it strikes me as more straightforward.
I think most people would intuitively want to make a strong distinction between blind force or determination (universal will if you like) on the one hand, and conscious (human) will and desire on the other, so this idea doesn't quite work for me.
I'm not assuming that this distinction is valid, just that it's a common one, which makes your take on this line seem a little less probable.

I am not quite sure what you mean. I think my interpertation is about the WHOLE song, where as you are just looking at one lyric. Carbon is right in that "expression of selfish desire and instinct" is part of humans and this type of will exists to this day, but he is leaving out rest of the lyrics in the song.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15
Re: Move by will alone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Hey yeah! I like that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I'm leaning towards Carbonatedgravy's idea more at this point, as it strikes me as more straightforward.
I think most people would intuitively want to make a strong distinction between blind force or determination (universal will if you like) on the one hand, and conscious (human) will and desire on the other, so this idea doesn't quite work for me.
I'm not assuming that this distinction is valid, just that it's a common one, which makes your take on this line seem a little less probable.

I am not quite sure what you mean. I think my interpertation is about the WHOLE song, where as you are just looking at one lyric. Carbon is right in that "expression of selfish desire and instinct" is part of humans and this type of will exists to this day, but he is leaving out rest of the lyrics in the song.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote