View Single Post
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
08-09-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonatedgravy
I took the line as an expression of selfish desire and instinct as opposed to acting out of morality or the good of others. As if the subject of the song is doing what is good for themself exclusively, acting upon their own wants and wishes while discarding the needs of the rest. A simple interpretation I know, but I believe this fits the context of the rest of the song.
Hey yeah! I like that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredg
Humans are a product of the Universe, therefore, have the same sort of design, determination, and desire. These things are known as will, "moved by Universal will".
I'm leaning towards Carbonatedgravy's idea more at this point, as it strikes me as more straightforward.
I think most people would intuitively want to make a strong distinction between blind force or determination (universal will if you like) on the one hand, and conscious (human) will and desire on the other, so this idea doesn't quite work for me.
I'm not assuming that this distinction is valid, just that it's a common one, which makes your take on this line seem a little less probable.

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-09-2006 at 07:19 AM..
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: Move by will alone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonatedgravy
I took the line as an expression of selfish desire and instinct as opposed to acting out of morality or the good of others. As if the subject of the song is doing what is good for themself exclusively, acting upon their own wants and wishes while discarding the needs of the rest. A simple interpretation I know, but I believe this fits the context of the rest of the song.
Hey yeah! I like that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredg
Humans are a product of the Universe, therefore, have the same sort of design, determination, and desire. These things are known as will, "moved by Universal will".
I'm leaning towards Carbonatedgravy's idea more at this point, as it strikes me as more straightforward.
I think most people would intuitively want to make a strong distinction between blind force or determination (universal will if you like) on the one hand, and conscious (human) will and desire on the other, so this idea doesn't quite work for me.
I'm not assuming that this distinction is valid, just that it's a common one, which makes your take on this line seem a little less probable.

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-09-2006 at 07:19 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote