View Single Post
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
08-09-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Thanks, but could you elaborate a little on how you get to this from the line in question? The basic building blocks of the universe don't seem to have any obvious will. "Will"=human will? =Something else? And are you kind of agreeing with my first guess that the line is meant sarcastically (i.e. we believe it but are wrong)?

This is an example how there is somewhat of a "design" "determination" "desire" or as the song goes "WILL" to the Universe.

Quote:
The nuclear strong force holds together the particles in the nucleus of an atom. If the strong nuclear force were slightly weaker, by as little as 2%, multi-proton nuclei would not hold together and hydrogen would be the only element in the universe. If the strong force were slightly stronger, by as little as 1%, hydrogen would be rare in the universe and elements heavier than iron (elements resulting from fusion during the explosion of supernovae) would also be rare.
Humans are a product of the Universe, therefore, have the same sort of design, determination, and desire. These things are known as will, "moved by Universal will".

The line is not meant sarcastically because the ONE line you picked out connects to the rest of the lyrics in the song.

Just like what I said before, Maynard describes in the song. Chemical reactions are the driving force in human nature "Spark becomes a flame, flame becomes a fire". The story continues in Right in Two, how humans have the desire/determination, but do not control it - instead humans use it to control other humans. "Father" blessed them all with reason, but humans keep killing each other.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15
Re: Move by will alone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Thanks, but could you elaborate a little on how you get to this from the line in question? The basic building blocks of the universe don't seem to have any obvious will. "Will"=human will? =Something else? And are you kind of agreeing with my first guess that the line is meant sarcastically (i.e. we believe it but are wrong)?

This is an example how there is somewhat of a "design" "determination" "desire" or as the song goes "WILL" to the Universe.

Quote:
The nuclear strong force holds together the particles in the nucleus of an atom. If the strong nuclear force were slightly weaker, by as little as 2%, multi-proton nuclei would not hold together and hydrogen would be the only element in the universe. If the strong force were slightly stronger, by as little as 1%, hydrogen would be rare in the universe and elements heavier than iron (elements resulting from fusion during the explosion of supernovae) would also be rare.
Humans are a product of the Universe, therefore, have the same sort of design, determination, and desire. These things are known as will, "moved by Universal will".

The line is not meant sarcastically because the ONE line you picked out connects to the rest of the lyrics in the song.

Just like what I said before, Maynard describes in the song. Chemical reactions are the driving force in human nature "Spark becomes a flame, flame becomes a fire". The story continues in Right in Two, how humans have the desire/determination, but do not control it - instead humans use it to control other humans. "Father" blessed them all with reason, but humans keep killing each other.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote