View Single Post
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
08-09-2006, 05:41 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I looked briefly and didn't find anything.

I'd like to know what people think this line is intended to mean within the context of the song:

"Move by will alone"

I don't have any definite take on this at the moment, but here are my thoughts:

The song seems to be a tale of the progression of a (non-specific) individual from birth to death detailing his or her moral development, and maybe alternating between the positive and negative aspects (as discussed in the "female/male duality" thread). And maybe it's also a tale of the progression and development of humanity in general.

I'm thinking that the line above is meant kind of sarcastically, as in saying that we all think (or would like to think) that we are "moved by will alone", i.e. that we make our moral choices of our own free will with the aid of reason, but that in fact our progression (or lack thereof) is determined by our rather pathetic animal nature or genetic constitution that (within the song at least) we fail to overcome.

Or maybe it's different, and the song is saying that we really are "moved by will alone", such that our poor moral choices and inability to overcome our animal instincts really are the result of our will, and that we are responsible for what results from this weakness of will.

What do you think this line is meant to communicate to us? I'd welcome any further insight anyone has on this.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Move by will alone...?

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I looked briefly and didn't find anything.

I'd like to know what people think this line is intended to mean within the context of the song:

"Move by will alone"

I don't have any definite take on this at the moment, but here are my thoughts:

The song seems to be a tale of the progression of a (non-specific) individual from birth to death detailing his or her moral development, and maybe alternating between the positive and negative aspects (as discussed in the "female/male duality" thread). And maybe it's also a tale of the progression and development of humanity in general.

I'm thinking that the line above is meant kind of sarcastically, as in saying that we all think (or would like to think) that we are "moved by will alone", i.e. that we make our moral choices of our own free will with the aid of reason, but that in fact our progression (or lack thereof) is determined by our rather pathetic animal nature or genetic constitution that (within the song at least) we fail to overcome.

Or maybe it's different, and the song is saying that we really are "moved by will alone", such that our poor moral choices and inability to overcome our animal instincts really are the result of our will, and that we are responsible for what results from this weakness of will.

What do you think this line is meant to communicate to us? I'd welcome any further insight anyone has on this.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote