View Single Post
dresnu
09-07-2007, 11:35 PM

This was my third concert on the 10,000 days tour, so I may be a little strict with my critissism...
After the first two shows of pure awe I could spot some negative aspects this time round. I actually think this was their worst performance I 've seen so far.
First of all the sound. It was really really awful. Obviously this is not tool's fault but I feel that doing all those concerts so close to its other (considering Instanbul tonight they will be playing 4 nights straight without a break), for a band like tool that has to build up a big stage like that every night, it doesn't leave them the time not only to rest but even for soundchecking (I'm 99% sure they didn't soundcheck yesterday). So you can't expect much when a band doesn't even have the time to test their equipment on site.
Secondly, the band's mood. It was very low... Apart from Justin who was moving all the time as always (and obviously Danny who is forced to move by the instrument he plays), they looked tired and bored. Ok, I 've seen them before and I know they are not the most joyful band on stage, but man... yesterday they looked like playing for them was just a duty, like ok we 're gonna play these tunes and then we 're gonna salut you and goodnight. They didn't put anything into it. Another evidence that they weren't enjoying themselves and were not very focused, were some mistakes I spotted sometimes, mainly from Adam and Justin. Maynard just said "good evening" after Jambi and then again "It's a pleasure to see you again, we 'll be back soon" (or something like that) before Vicarious. I also didn't really like his singing too. Sometimes he sang on a different key and sometimes it seemed like he was making fun of the songs, like the obvious "blah blah blah" he sang in the beginning of rosetta. The reason they are tired off course might be the fact that tonight (Turkey) is their last date for this leg and their minds are surely already on holidays, they are humans after all.
Third negative thing was... the crowd. I don't like headbanging myself, but yesterday it was like they had all fallen asleep. No feedback from the crowd at all. This might be due to the fact that it was actually pretty chilly out there and from what I saw most people were on t-shirts from the afternoon not expecting that cold later in the evening.

Ok, there were some positives too. This time I really enjoyed the visuals. They were 1 level up from what I had seen before. And the big white screen which fell off to reveal the 10,000 days artwork during rosetta was awesome.
Secondly, I liked so much "Flood". This was their best performance in my opinion, they nailed it.

Trivia
-Adam was most probably not wearing shoes
-Danny had Elton Brand's jersey
Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/09/06 - Athens, Greece - Terra Vibe

This was my third concert on the 10,000 days tour, so I may be a little strict with my critissism...
After the first two shows of pure awe I could spot some negative aspects this time round. I actually think this was their worst performance I 've seen so far.
First of all the sound. It was really really awful. Obviously this is not tool's fault but I feel that doing all those concerts so close to its other (considering Instanbul tonight they will be playing 4 nights straight without a break), for a band like tool that has to build up a big stage like that every night, it doesn't leave them the time not only to rest but even for soundchecking (I'm 99% sure they didn't soundcheck yesterday). So you can't expect much when a band doesn't even have the time to test their equipment on site.
Secondly, the band's mood. It was very low... Apart from Justin who was moving all the time as always (and obviously Danny who is forced to move by the instrument he plays), they looked tired and bored. Ok, I 've seen them before and I know they are not the most joyful band on stage, but man... yesterday they looked like playing for them was just a duty, like ok we 're gonna play these tunes and then we 're gonna salut you and goodnight. They didn't put anything into it. Another evidence that they weren't enjoying themselves and were not very focused, were some mistakes I spotted sometimes, mainly from Adam and Justin. Maynard just said "good evening" after Jambi and then again "It's a pleasure to see you again, we 'll be back soon" (or something like that) before Vicarious. I also didn't really like his singing too. Sometimes he sang on a different key and sometimes it seemed like he was making fun of the songs, like the obvious "blah blah blah" he sang in the beginning of rosetta. The reason they are tired off course might be the fact that tonight (Turkey) is their last date for this leg and their minds are surely already on holidays, they are humans after all.
Third negative thing was... the crowd. I don't like headbanging myself, but yesterday it was like they had all fallen asleep. No feedback from the crowd at all. This might be due to the fact that it was actually pretty chilly out there and from what I saw most people were on t-shirts from the afternoon not expecting that cold later in the evening.

Ok, there were some positives too. This time I really enjoyed the visuals. They were 1 level up from what I had seen before. And the big white screen which fell off to reveal the 10,000 days artwork during rosetta was awesome.
Secondly, I liked so much "Flood". This was their best performance in my opinion, they nailed it.

Trivia
-Adam was most probably not wearing shoes
-Danny had Elton Brand's jersey
OFFLINE |