View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/11/05 - Lisbon, PRT - Atlantico Pavillion

-Sorry that is such a long post but it just came out that way-

here are some of my thoughts on some circunstances surrounding this show:

-shitty venue.3rd time I attended a concert at Pav.Atlantico and already had an idea what could be expected.(have to say that Tool is one of the few bands that make me go back to this place after the 2 previous experiences.) Suppose it’s great for sports but lousy for music.Enough been said about the acoustics already for now.
Also,despite liking the design/shape of the place itself...the colourful plastic chairs and the advertisements,for example,partly ruined the atmosphere for me.
I realise it’s quite more profitable for a promoter to book a band there (a crowd of 10,000 to 15,000) than at Coliseu (7000),for instance.Anyway,as a music lover and a fan,would much much rather had seen this show somewhere else.(can’t avoid remembering APC in Lisbon a couple of years ago...)

-‘security’ at the gates.
Mastodon’s soundcheck was still goin on well after 7pm –and the doors should have opened at about that time...instead,remained closed till 8.00!
(since I got there pretty early was among the first hundred (I guess) to get in...so, didn’t miss Mastodon,though didn’t like it...)
Little men in blue were responsable for security at the entrance...but all the thorough search was just absurd...and not effective:one of the girls who I was with,got in with a digital camera on her (searched) purse...
Never seen this before:lighters not allowed!And it wasn’t because of smoking or setting the damn place on fire..When I asked the cop who took my lighter how was somebody supposed to smoke without one,he said that matches were allowed !!!He also stated thatr never had heard of such a ‘rule’ but those were their orders.
Throwing lighters to the stage?Could this have been the reason?Would rather throw my phone than the lighter,believe me...that didn’t convince the cop,either..
Really,getting fed up with all the security hysteria.
Lots of people just got in way too late due to that and the timeschedule of the shows.Mastodon played for a very small crowd...

-the cretin mob at the ‘mosh pit’...most of all I pity them for not enjoying the show properly at times,visually and musically;get a bit pissed at them for not allowing other people to do it;loath them for being such pricks towards girls(specially) or who ever is near by.
It’s been quite a while since I’ve been this close to the stage (maybe the 7th person counting from the stage,right in front of Adam and MKJ) and is it me or is the moshing crowd different from what it used to? Just seemed so reckless and careless of who’s around them....precisely the opposite of what I used to enjoy once in a while about it:in spite of all the adrenaline rush and somewhat aggressive moves,people took care of who was around them..people CARED for other people.

As for the show itself...have to mention what let me down about it:

-this is what really made feel disappointed about it: No Wings.I’m waiting for the chance to witness Wings live since the their first 10,000Days gig.Almost didn’t cross my mind the possibilitie that Tool would leave it out for the begining of this European Tour after knowing they played it in the US...it chills me,top to bottom,imagining what it must be like to experience this LIVE.. more than disappointed I guess I was sad.

then,no candy like something from Opiate..or H.,The Grudge,Prison Sex,Third Eye (wishful thinking)..whatever ‘new’ they came up with,would be precious.
Just the same set as in May,except for swapping Right in Two fot Rosetta (exactly what they did most of the time in the summer european tour gigs and which i also saw in Amsterdam)...and that was great for a festival or ‘warm-up’ tour.
So,a short concert for what could be expected (about 2 hours,I thought previously) and precisely the same songs...can’t help to feel let down on that.A lot.

Wonder if I wrote anything positive above?...

Well,I could start by saying that the show was Brilliant!
All I mentioned before is what should have been different to add to the whole Tool experience.Amazing experience,must be said.
Great spot to watch the show,clear view to all of them –though Justin was a bit far and sideways from me-...finally was able to properly enjoy Danny at work ) and can only say:the guy is not from this planet. *****
The new (and ‘old’) visuals are excellent.The net of being,lasers,lights,videoscreens...pfff...all came together for a mind blowing psychedelic experience at times or introspective dark cloud straight from my innerself to my outer perception...
Surely missed a lot by being so close to the stage and under the lasers(got a sore neck at the end of the show) but even so...
Can’t complain too much about the sound itself;being upfront,a lot from the soundwall coming from the stage made it quite powerful and clear most of the time...except for Maynard’s voice which I couldn’t figure out at times –and all the crowd singing and shouting so loud around me didn’t help- .. still got an idea of how the reverb on other spots of the venue must have been annoying on some drums-only bits.

As for what matters the most:

-Jambi – this song blows me away.f**ing unbelievable power.one of my very own favourites from this guys.

-The Pot – rock,rock,rock.Rock On.
another one I love to listen to any day,any time.also impossible to stand still to.

-Lost keys / Rosetta Stoned – what a treat!this song is meant to be heard / played live,it attains another dimension (even MJK’s mask seemed to make sense)
I remeber some people bashing Adam’s parts on this song on the forum.Played live it just made me go insane..beautiful.

-it shows that there’s a LOT of effort put into 10,000days song’s live.or maybe the record just doesn’t put them under the proper light for me,though I love it!
Vicarious I only really got to love after listening to it live for the 1st time.Once again,one of the highlights of the show.

-46 & 2
just touches me every single time I listen to it.it becomes alive in me.enough said.

-Sober – it’s sooo good that they’re playing it live.even more with tremendous Merkaba deviation intro by Danny.

-Lateralus- yep,they really nailed this one.it comes out perfect,everything in it’s right place.and that Gong bit...pffff....

- Schism – one that I wouldn’t mind if they changed..it for some other song.

-Stinkfist – dark,dark stinkfist - and apocalyptic Aenema just show the strength of the fabulous four (who are The Beatles? ;) ) and how natural it seems for them to create anthems.

To Tool: please keep giving us what you are willing and able to,I dare to call it a blessing...and give us our Wings,one of these days.

n.

To R.F. – since I don’t want to be disrespectful of your language or mistreat it in any way (besides all the errors that surely are polluting this post) and you seem to be such a ferocious defender of flawless writing (praise the Lord for that),I’ll use correct grammar,vocabulary,the works: se não conseguisses ser tão anormal e arrogante terias outra ambição na vida?como beber óleo,por exemplo?
Don’t mention it,my pleasure.