View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #45
Banned.

Bincount™: 51
Re: H. stands for.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoling13 View Post
I don't know about lachrymology.

"In the summer of 1948, Ronald P. Vincent, a crop-spray contractor, moved from Kansas to Hollywood after his wife had been dismembered in a bizarre snow plough accident. Inspired by the unrelenting pain he felt, Vincent penned his first and only book, 'A Joyful Guide to Lachrymology'"

Kinda funny that no one has actually seen this book and it is non-existent in the Library of Congress.

Ronald P. Vincent and L. Ron Hubbard. Both have a form of 'Ron" and an initial.

Do a search on lachrymology and you won't find anything that is not related to the band. I think it's all a big joke.
Yes I already know all that. I have no clue why they are joking around about it but the concept is not a bad one and Tool does show these ideas in so many of their songs. "The essential ideas behind Lachrymology are quite simple, the science teaches that a human cannot very well develop emotionally, mentally, or spiritually without the experience of pain"(Got that from a website).The whole idea behind Lachrymology is not new. Even carl jung talks a lot about it.

Here are a few quotes I found by carl jung on the importance of pain and how we should not hide from this pain, but instead face it, accept it, and treat it as important as all of the things that make you happy:

"A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them."

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain."

"Understanding does not cure evil, but it is a definite help, inasmuch as one can cope with a comprehensible darkness."

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses."

"We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them."

The line:

"I could have cried then.
I should have cried then."

is basically saying that he wishes that he didnt hold in and hide from his pain and emotions, instead he wishes that he just let all the pain out and accepted it while in his past so that he could have been closer to healing himself even more for the present time. Accepting the pain allowed him to become more conscious of his shadow and get closer to finding his true self.

Does it make sense? I'm tired.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote