View Single Post
aviguy100's Avatar aviguy100
08-10-2009, 06:01 AM

First I have to say that this is my first post ever... I typically don't take the time to express myself but I cannot stop thinking about my experience at this show. So many people feel the need to bitch about everything, something, anything because this is the information age and we can and others will hear us... I am not that kind of person. I remember the last time I saw Tool back in 2007 I was reading the reviews of shows and a good majority of them were negative: "Same set list", "Maynard doesn't move around like he used to," etc. I found that show to be one of the most incredible live music experiences of my life. Like I said, some people just love to bitch. So it didn't surprise me when I began to read the reviews of this tour prior to my experience and hear all the negativity; I expected it and dismissed it as the usual gripes. Unfortunately I found myself shockingly disappointed after leaving the PNC pavilion.
Overall my wife and I had a GREAT time. We drove 4 hours from the Cleveland area and got a hotel nearby, this was our anniversary present to ourselves. We were incredibly excited as it has been over two years since we last saw them and as our 7th Tool show we knew what to expect (top notch performances, amazing visuals, emotionally moving, and almost supernatural experience). Although Adam, Justin and Danny gave their all it did not seem to make up for the lack of Maynard's involvement in the overall output. See, what makes Tool so amazing is that they are more than just the sum of all parts. When each member gives 100% the result is what we have come to adore about the band... musical perfection and emotionally moving. I don't think it was that Maynard's vocal level (mic volume) was too low in the mix... sound board operators for bands like this know what they're doing. You can only turn up one's mic so loud before feedback occurs. The only logical explanation is that he simply was not singing very loud. Not once did I hear any considerable effort given to achieve the unmistakable vocal presence that is Maynard. And although, as I said, I believe the rest of the band gave their all the collective output was hollow sounding, empty. I kept expecting (hoping) that he just needed to get warmed up or feel the energy of the crowd (which by the way was an awesome crowd, no retards that I encountered and a great, respectful response) to get into it. It did not happen. Then after Vicarious, when all was said and done, the group goodbye was down a member. I'm not sure if anyone else saw it but it looked like (as soon as the song was over) Maynard walked right in front of Adam and was going to give him an exaggerated, perhaps spiteful high-five to which Adam did not reciprocate. Maynard then made a fidgety motion to Adam's hand holding his pick and then walked right off stage. This sealed the deal for me. I knew something wasn't right.
I'm not going to speculate why this happened, no one but the band and those close to them really knows. All I can think is that I understand if Maynard did not want to be there and/or do the tour... touring isn't always fun and games. But there are obviously a multitude of respectful, faithful Tool fans that paid a considerable amount of money to be there and expect/deserve the real Tool experience. If you're going to show up give it your all, please. How could you not feel the energy of the 1000's of fans looking to you, hungry for your emotional outpouring, and not feel compelled to deliver? In a way it reminds me of how Roger Waters began acting with Pink Floyd towards the end.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope that this is just a phase and that next time around the animosity is absent. For Christ's sake who are we going to turn to when Tool is no more?

I would like to say in closing that ultimately I had a good time and if it wasn't for seeing them at their best, knowing what they are capable of, it would not have affected me that much. Perhaps next time around... Also, thank you to Rynne who when I pointed her out to my wife very cordially engaged in a short conversation with my wife wanting to thank her for her photography of the band as well as asking to tell Danny he's the shit. Thank you Rynne!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

First I have to say that this is my first post ever... I typically don't take the time to express myself but I cannot stop thinking about my experience at this show. So many people feel the need to bitch about everything, something, anything because this is the information age and we can and others will hear us... I am not that kind of person. I remember the last time I saw Tool back in 2007 I was reading the reviews of shows and a good majority of them were negative: "Same set list", "Maynard doesn't move around like he used to," etc. I found that show to be one of the most incredible live music experiences of my life. Like I said, some people just love to bitch. So it didn't surprise me when I began to read the reviews of this tour prior to my experience and hear all the negativity; I expected it and dismissed it as the usual gripes. Unfortunately I found myself shockingly disappointed after leaving the PNC pavilion.
Overall my wife and I had a GREAT time. We drove 4 hours from the Cleveland area and got a hotel nearby, this was our anniversary present to ourselves. We were incredibly excited as it has been over two years since we last saw them and as our 7th Tool show we knew what to expect (top notch performances, amazing visuals, emotionally moving, and almost supernatural experience). Although Adam, Justin and Danny gave their all it did not seem to make up for the lack of Maynard's involvement in the overall output. See, what makes Tool so amazing is that they are more than just the sum of all parts. When each member gives 100% the result is what we have come to adore about the band... musical perfection and emotionally moving. I don't think it was that Maynard's vocal level (mic volume) was too low in the mix... sound board operators for bands like this know what they're doing. You can only turn up one's mic so loud before feedback occurs. The only logical explanation is that he simply was not singing very loud. Not once did I hear any considerable effort given to achieve the unmistakable vocal presence that is Maynard. And although, as I said, I believe the rest of the band gave their all the collective output was hollow sounding, empty. I kept expecting (hoping) that he just needed to get warmed up or feel the energy of the crowd (which by the way was an awesome crowd, no retards that I encountered and a great, respectful response) to get into it. It did not happen. Then after Vicarious, when all was said and done, the group goodbye was down a member. I'm not sure if anyone else saw it but it looked like (as soon as the song was over) Maynard walked right in front of Adam and was going to give him an exaggerated, perhaps spiteful high-five to which Adam did not reciprocate. Maynard then made a fidgety motion to Adam's hand holding his pick and then walked right off stage. This sealed the deal for me. I knew something wasn't right.
I'm not going to speculate why this happened, no one but the band and those close to them really knows. All I can think is that I understand if Maynard did not want to be there and/or do the tour... touring isn't always fun and games. But there are obviously a multitude of respectful, faithful Tool fans that paid a considerable amount of money to be there and expect/deserve the real Tool experience. If you're going to show up give it your all, please. How could you not feel the energy of the 1000's of fans looking to you, hungry for your emotional outpouring, and not feel compelled to deliver? In a way it reminds me of how Roger Waters began acting with Pink Floyd towards the end.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope that this is just a phase and that next time around the animosity is absent. For Christ's sake who are we going to turn to when Tool is no more?

I would like to say in closing that ultimately I had a good time and if it wasn't for seeing them at their best, knowing what they are capable of, it would not have affected me that much. Perhaps next time around... Also, thank you to Rynne who when I pointed her out to my wife very cordially engaged in a short conversation with my wife wanting to thank her for her photography of the band as well as asking to tell Danny he's the shit. Thank you Rynne!
OFFLINE |