View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/22 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place

This was my 2nd Tool show. Having attent the 2001 show and downloading bunch videos from the Lateralus tour I was a little bit disappointed last night (b/c I had really high expectation). The setlist was a bit short compare to the 2001 show. I was expecting a longer set list. Thanx to the ridiculous long line up outside I didn't get to see ISIS (whom I wanted to see). We waited for about 45 mins before Tool came on stage. It was rather interesting to see that they lid up the stage during the entire setup and all you can see was an entire white stage. For the entire time I thought there would be some sort of huge projection screen at the back waiting to be revealed or something. The back lighting they used wasn't all that special. The laser lighting was pretty neat though. I guess I'm comparing Tool's stage setup to the NIN's stage setup when NIN was in Vancouver last year. Having seen the 2001 show I was expecting a bit more on the stage setup than what they had last night. In fact I was expecting Tool to top NIN's setup. I think that was the main cuase of my disappointment.

The concert, however, rocked! Tool certainly put on an amazing show. Comparing last night to 2001, last night was way louder and not as well balanced (maybe b/c the new speaker system in GM place?). At some points the bass/guitar was overpowering, making it hard to hear the lyrics.

Some of my highlights:

Forty Six & 2
-When the intro came on I screamed on top of my lungs. What a great song!

Jambi
-Before the concert this was the one song I really wanted to hear. I went home happy. The song was loud and rocked. The red fire image/lighting was really cool.

Rosetta Stoned
-The song, again, rocked my world. I found it kinda hard to understand what Maynard was singing when he was singing with the effect mic.

Right In Two
-I was trying to following what Danny was doing the last half of the song with his crazy drum thing. I still don't get how he pulls that part off. It seems that he's playing the congo sound with his left hand and the regular drum song with his right. I would love to see a video of Danny playing this song.

Lateralus
-Best song of the night. The back light & laser came on. Really cool.

After Lateralus the band sat for about 5 mins while everyone cheered on. Lighters everywhere it was absolutely amazing!

Vicarious
-Wow. This song is made to play live!!!

Ænema
-What a great song to end the night!!!

Justin was AMAZING! He's one hell of a bassist. Don't know why ppl were doubting his ability. Danny was Danny. His drumming ability is simply god like. Maynard was his usual self with his crazy dance moves although he didn't do as much jumping around like a monkey as 2001. Adam didn't move too much the entire show but he's always like that.

Great show. I really hope they come back to Vancouver or Seattle when they finished with their Europe tour.