View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
SAR DeathCheater (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2006/08/22 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place

I have 2 reviews; the long time fan that watches set lists, collects bootlegs of shows and knows what the band is capable of doing, and the actual review of being at the show as a fan.

Review 1: so disappointed that I paid 82 US dollars to see a 90 minute, festival set list with nothing new what-so-ever in the set list. They bought the laser system from Def Leppards 80's shows, nine inch nails background from 2005's With Teeth shows and U2's lighting from their 2001's E.Y.C.L.B. tour, in short...cheap gimmicky effects to blow up a weak set list and short playing time. I didn’t want flying pigs, didn’t want cool glasses to wear, didn’t expect anything spectacular, all I expected was for at least a 2 hour show with something to give back to the continent that has bought more of their music that anywhere else (granted it was in Canada, so maybe they haven’t bought enough to pay for that extra wing on the winery). OK...that rant is done.

My cousin and I rolled into Canada around 1pm with no hassle from the border guys (they actually forgot the show was tonight and were griping they didn’t have tickets, heh). Sat at the DogHaus bar and drank all afternoon catching up (I hadn’t seen him in a good year) and was great to talk about everything under the sun and drink all afternoon. We stayed there until 7pm and then wandered over to the arena. He has only been to maybe 6 shows in his life and saw tool back on the Lateralus tour. He was def more purely excited to see the show and pulling out his wish list of songs (which I told him not to expect and gave him a more realistic set list...which every song ironically was played sans wings/10k days and a couple undertow ones).

Missed most of Isis, never heard of em before learning they were the opening band. Caught the last few...songs..If you can call them that, seemed to be more of an instrumental band.

Stage was all white and better lit to see the band than any prior tour. The 5'6" back wall behind Keenan and carry was the only real visual screen with projected images on it. No new video for vicarious, just some 10K cover images with the usual hypnotic effects. Added lighting came up for lateralus and the last 2 songs and freaken lasers....

Tool came on just before 930p and roared into the extended stinkfist version, as mentioned above, the lighting made it perfect to see all of them and keenan was dressed as usual in boots, pants with a big buckle and no shirt on and sun glasses. Danny was in his typical basketball attire and the other 2 wore whatever they normally wear. The extended part of stinkfest always catches people off, funny to watch people sing what should have been coming and then staring blankly as the band riffs.

Keenan was great to be back in the English speaking area of the world.

Pot came on and my cousin was crazy happy with that, Keenan's vocals sounded great throughout the song.

Rolled thru 46&2 and Jambi, both sounding great. Keenan apologized for 'our president', always taking pot shots at the American way.

Schism is obviously their 2nd most popular song so it'll always be played, but it really isn’t needed in the set list. The sped up part WAS amazing, though you really couldn’t tell notes and that it was actually sped up or if it was just being carried away and playing sloppily. Adam walked to the center of the stage to do the sped up part..Most movement by a tool member ever!! haha.

Gotta say that Justin was really into the show, his head banging was better than watching keenan and his skitzo dance moves. Justin was flat out rocking to what he was playing and that was a great vibe.

Lost keys/Rosetta This is like ticks and leeches, no one that’s just a basic fan of the new album will get the song, the lyrics or anything about this song, other than its to damn long with some great parts in it, but just doesn’t need to be played. Pushit could have been a better fill in for this part of the show. Don’t get me wrong, I sang along and looked cool to the people around that I’m a TDN board geek that reads the lyrics and total tool die hard fan haha.

New jam/intro for sober, the entire band was jamming and carry had a decent drum solo. Didn’t even pick up on that it was going to be a song intro/jam, they just jumped right into the normal sober song.

Right in 2, love the song on the disc, doesn’t need to be played live all that much. Great that they pulled out 5 of the 6 actual songs on 10k days for the show, supporting the disc but hearing that 6th song (10k days) would have made the show sooooo much better. The intense end part was great and got the crowd hyped up.

Lateralus kicked in and the Christmas lights started moving up the back of the stage and lasers started up and just made me laugh...so cheesy and so not what should be at a tool show. Use the CAD visuals you're known for, not ripping off other bands trademark ones. Intense song, crowd pleaser and ripped through it well.

5 min of crowd energy soaking in as they sat in the center of the stage. Keenan laid down for a part of it, kicked around a few times then they got back up and jumped into the 2 minutes of space age trip music that always comes before vicarious, it was then I knew there were only 2 songs left and griped a bit about that.

Vicarious IS a live song, flat out. Its driving, it moves and it kills you with its intensity. Great great song.

Closed off with the always stable, never disappointing aenima. Keenan again apologized for our president and told the cannucks to invade or buy our country before it all goes away. Drove the song superbly and of course everyone in the place is singing along and soaking up the last bit of energy.

Danny flung drum heads like Frisbees and a coupe actually made it to the middle of the arena. They waved, they tossed picks and sticks and they were gone.

Great fucken show full of the expected energy and being there with my cousin made it that much better, seeing his fascination and excitement with each song as it came up made my night that much better. Glad I saw em indoors and not out at the gorge and hope to see them further into the tour when they come back in 2007.