View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/05 - San Diego, CA - Street Scene '06

"Look out for your brothers and sisters. No one has to die in rock n' roll", to quote Maynard from Saturday nights Street Scene show. Unfortunately for one concert goer this advice may have come too late, as they are still in the hospital with an injury described as life threatening.

As much as I enjoyed the show and thought the performance was incredible, the fact that someone is fighting for their life after a Tool show is disgusting. Having grown up on the whole punk and hardcore scene in the 80's I have seen and been in plenty of rowdy crowds. One thing I noticed at Saturdays show was the mosh pits and the aggression in general had less to do with the music than just causing someone bodily harm. Couple that with a handul of people shoving a mass crowd of people from behind and the recipe was set for a disaster.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this was the first show where I actually caught myself cheering for a security guard to beat the hell out of some of those morons . Granted we lost at least a song but the show itself could have very easily been cancelled as soon as the police captain stepped onstage, but credit Maynard for doing his part and eventually settling the crowd down enough to finish the set. Hell, after witnessing 17 people getting carried out on stretchers I wouldn't have blamed him for reiterating that we were "douchebags" and calling it a night.

And for all the idiots who caused such an ugly scene, if you ever go to another concert I hope you think of the poor souls who came close to death and to the one still staving it off.
OFFLINE |