View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/08/05 - San Diego, CA - Street Scene '06

I began waiting in the front to see Tool around 5 or so, and there were cool people (Tool fans) to talk to during the bands we saw while waiting for Tool. Those people were fine, and I'm glad to have met them. Then came the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

The pushing was insane...but not just that, it was pointless. You don't need to start shoving your way to the front to see Tool an hour and a half before they go on, fuckin dumbasses. I just kept thinking to myself that if the crowd was this violent for Tool over an hour before they even began rolling out Danny Carey's drums, I couldn't imagine the clusterfuck of a situation it would be when Tool actually came on. And the dumbass, muscle headed, red bull induced, raised truck driving douchebags didn't disappoint...it was dangerous to be up front in that swarm of morons.

And to the previous poster telling people to go to the back if they can't handle the pit....The circle pits seemed like a Britney Spears concert compared to the huge surge going on up front. The pit wasn't a problem, I actually was able to breathe in the pit...What is hard is when you are stuck between four people with a wave of force pushing you to one side (practically a 45 degree angle) and not being able to stand back up straight without the help from the other people pushing you back, coupled with the dumb bitch behind you with her elbow in the back of your neck and the 200 pound guy crowd surfing who just kicked you in the back of the head.

Maynard said it aptly, "Its only rock and roll. Its not worth dying over"

Thanks to the morons we all lost a song. The best part of the pot where everyone is rocking out was also ruined with Maynard having to tell people to chill the fuck out and take a step back. The ten minutes of Justin, Adam, and Maynard going to see what was up and beg the crowd to move probably didn't excite the band too much to give us any treat either...they ended 5 minutes early.

The music itself was great. Everything was incredibly tight...Justin Chancellor is probably the most underrated bassist in music...he is a lot of fun to watch. Danny Carey is all the more better live, and Adam's guitar/talk box solo in Jambi is amazing --- Jambi was probably the highlight of the night. Two minor fuck ups in some songs (I really can't remember which two, just that there were two) that only certain people would pick up on, but you just see how cohesive they are in how quick they get it together...Danny steps up big.

The sound at the venue was not great...some parts sounded muffled...though this was no fault to the guys playing the instruments...that was perfect. Most obvious case was Justin's intro on Schism and the chorus in Forty Six and Two.

Still it was an amazing show, my first time seeing Tool, and my high expectations were more than met. I can't wait to see them in Oakland on the 3rd (ROSETTA STONED PLEASE!) Finally, I expect a crazy (heck even a bit violent) crowd at certain shows...the nature of some of Tool's songs you can't help it. And energized crowds make these shows a lot of fun. But when people are getting trampled and passing out, its enough...some people need to seriously consider otherways of releasing their testosterone...try seal clubbing, MotoX riding, or hey...you know what, I think Disturbed and Staind are going on tour soon, maybe you guys should check that out.
OFFLINE |