View Single Post
spiral-out
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Care to describe more about what you found wrong with the sound? I have had issues with the sound at both tweeter shows and, given how amazing they were at Orpheum, seriously believe its the venue.

I agree with you when you say you couldn't hear Maynard. The vocals have just been far too low at these tweeter shows. Not singing the end of vicarious is pretty stupid too.

Did you also notice a bit of echoing going on? It was most noticable when the guitar and bass riffs transition suddenly. It took a few seconds for the the sounds of previous riffs to die out and it added a very unpolished feel to some parts of some songs.

I'm interested if you want to elaborate because for each of these shows only a few people have come forward and described issues with the sound and mix.

I apologize in advance to the admins who have been deleting posts about the (-) Ions shit and hope that you don't delete this discussion (if it turns into one). I know its not technically a "review" but I don't see how in-depth discussion of the show hurts anybody.

Floodmatt - thats interesting to hear, given that I was in section 7 as well.
I agree about it being the venue...honestly how can you have good acoustics when you are outside...the sound pretty much gets carried out into space. No outdoor venue will ever sound as good as an indoor venue in my opinion. I saw them last june indoors, and i thought the sound was amazing, right down to hearing inrticate things like danny's cymbal work...and you could hear every word clearly. however I do realize this might be because i was so close at that time too, up front maybe 8 rows back the middle of the floor. Last night I was far, far off on the right hand side...and I expected the sound to be muted because of my location...and it was a shame not to hear that crispness...and maynard's vocals did get lost at parts where he pretty much HAS to sing his vocals more quiet due to the nature of the song. Unfortunately those lower ranges don't carry too well out doors. Maybe they should start choosing a different venue to play in MA.

Also, I think the echoe your talking about is at the beginning of jambi... the"but I, I would, wish it all away" part. I think this must be the way they want it because I thought the exact same thing when I saw them in june that the reverb was messed up...and it happened again here. So my guess is that it's planned.

The only logic I can think of as to why they play most of the same songs for the setlist is probably because they don't have visuals set up for spur of the moment songs...I think that takes away their freedom of changing it up every night - those visuals are so strategic and they are so in synch to the music that they must take a while to plan out...I don't think they could change the setlist up that much unless they had planned all the visuals that any given song would need, and that would take alot of time. Anyways, that's just my guess as to why it's always pretty much the same...and I would really love to hear some different songs myself...eulogy, (i would love) disposition, the grudge etc...etc...

However I do have to say there is probably a reason for him not screaming out the end of vicarious. Night after night of hours of singing can really strain one's vocals - no matter how well trained you are, and he is not as young as he used to be either...that being said i think he belts out that ending when he feels his voice is gonna make it, and holds off if it is gonna end up doing some damage that might possibly cancel another show. I don't think he is doing it out of spite or anything...but singing anything for hours night after night can really do a number on your vocal cords.

Last edited by spiral-out; 07-13-2007 at 11:52 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/12 - Boston, MA - Tweeter Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Care to describe more about what you found wrong with the sound? I have had issues with the sound at both tweeter shows and, given how amazing they were at Orpheum, seriously believe its the venue.

I agree with you when you say you couldn't hear Maynard. The vocals have just been far too low at these tweeter shows. Not singing the end of vicarious is pretty stupid too.

Did you also notice a bit of echoing going on? It was most noticable when the guitar and bass riffs transition suddenly. It took a few seconds for the the sounds of previous riffs to die out and it added a very unpolished feel to some parts of some songs.

I'm interested if you want to elaborate because for each of these shows only a few people have come forward and described issues with the sound and mix.

I apologize in advance to the admins who have been deleting posts about the (-) Ions shit and hope that you don't delete this discussion (if it turns into one). I know its not technically a "review" but I don't see how in-depth discussion of the show hurts anybody.

Floodmatt - thats interesting to hear, given that I was in section 7 as well.
I agree about it being the venue...honestly how can you have good acoustics when you are outside...the sound pretty much gets carried out into space. No outdoor venue will ever sound as good as an indoor venue in my opinion. I saw them last june indoors, and i thought the sound was amazing, right down to hearing inrticate things like danny's cymbal work...and you could hear every word clearly. however I do realize this might be because i was so close at that time too, up front maybe 8 rows back the middle of the floor. Last night I was far, far off on the right hand side...and I expected the sound to be muted because of my location...and it was a shame not to hear that crispness...and maynard's vocals did get lost at parts where he pretty much HAS to sing his vocals more quiet due to the nature of the song. Unfortunately those lower ranges don't carry too well out doors. Maybe they should start choosing a different venue to play in MA.

Also, I think the echoe your talking about is at the beginning of jambi... the"but I, I would, wish it all away" part. I think this must be the way they want it because I thought the exact same thing when I saw them in june that the reverb was messed up...and it happened again here. So my guess is that it's planned.

The only logic I can think of as to why they play most of the same songs for the setlist is probably because they don't have visuals set up for spur of the moment songs...I think that takes away their freedom of changing it up every night - those visuals are so strategic and they are so in synch to the music that they must take a while to plan out...I don't think they could change the setlist up that much unless they had planned all the visuals that any given song would need, and that would take alot of time. Anyways, that's just my guess as to why it's always pretty much the same...and I would really love to hear some different songs myself...eulogy, (i would love) disposition, the grudge etc...etc...

However I do have to say there is probably a reason for him not screaming out the end of vicarious. Night after night of hours of singing can really strain one's vocals - no matter how well trained you are, and he is not as young as he used to be either...that being said i think he belts out that ending when he feels his voice is gonna make it, and holds off if it is gonna end up doing some damage that might possibly cancel another show. I don't think he is doing it out of spite or anything...but singing anything for hours night after night can really do a number on your vocal cords.

Last edited by spiral-out; 07-13-2007 at 11:52 AM..
OFFLINE |