View Single Post
Matt1636
08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Rock. Solid. Show.

4th Tool show, went with the girlfriend, had great seats in 201 Row N. We had an outstanding view, and more importantly, the most balanced sound I've ever heard at a concert. Kudos to the sound guys, because it was perfect. Loud, but not uncomfortable, and everyone came through clearly. Maynard's vocals were crystal clear and seated perfectly in the mix. Being a bass player myself, I could not have been more happy with how well I could hear Justin's playing and how fucking amazing his bass sounded. Love that gritty/clean tone.

I should address Tweak Bird for a moment. Heard mixed reactions to these guys, but I thought they were pretty darn good. They had a really jam-oriented, free-flowing feel with some pretty strong dynamics (though overall a heavy sound) as the songs progressed. I thought their guitarist produced some really cool tones, and their drummer was just plain dangerous. I really liked his approach to his playing and found myself laughing out loud a couple times when he'd pull something off that was totally badass. Subdued parts of songs were sometimes punctuated by these quick, absurd outbursts on the drums that I thought were hilarious. The flute/sax/etc player was a great addition and added an awesome dimension to their music. As far as the strange vocal style, ("Fourteen... spaceships") kind of thing, I thought they pulled it off and it definitely worked. I'm really glad I saw them. Conversely, the girlfriend couldn't stand them. Haha.

As far as Tool, all I can say is that like everyone else, I'd been hoping this tour would mean a different setlist; oh well. I went into this show knowing it was going to be relatively the same as I've already seen, and knowing that, I could just relax and enjoy a set of great songs. And that's what it was. I thought they nailed every song; the musicianship was just frighteningly tight, but as usual, looked and sounded effortless. The breakdown in Jambi had me grinning from ear to ear. Lost Keys and the added background track really threw me in a different place, and Rosetta Stoned stole the show for me. That song grooves in a heavier and cooler way than I thought music could. When the Asteroids video game visuals started during the drum and bass jam... it's too great for words. Flood was perfection, Aenima and Lateralus were epic, Vicarious was great, though it's not my favorite closer by a long shot.

Adam was stoic as always, and his playing sounded great.

Danny's not human; he's not. What else is new. I think his drumkit has its own zip code. Never fails to make me laugh when they unveil it.

Justin was a blast to watch play. That guy has never failed to look like there's no place he'd rather be - in great spirits, ran out on stage when they first came out with his hood up like a boxer. The whole crowd can feel that guy's enthusiasm and it really made the show for me.

I was prepared for a subdued, half checked-out Maynard based on what people have been saying, but he was the opposite. Best vocal performance I've heard to date, great interaction with the crowd, and he was REALLY into the show. Lots of Aenima-era style dancing and general hilarity.

Toronto crowd was great, overall. No laser pointers or shit thrown at the stage and no problems with anyone where I was sitting. Security was a pain in the ass; distracted me more than once at points where I REALLY didn't want to be distracted, including the finale of Lateralus, pushing past me through my row for some unbeknownst reason. If there's not a fight going on, stay the fuck out of the way.

Awesome, awesome show that was more than worth the money, time, and miles spent to get there. Tool SHOWED UP to Toronto, and they (all of them) DELIVERED. Thank you fellas for a very special night. Sad it's over; I'll never forget it; time to go create something positive.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.05.09 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre

Rock. Solid. Show.

4th Tool show, went with the girlfriend, had great seats in 201 Row N. We had an outstanding view, and more importantly, the most balanced sound I've ever heard at a concert. Kudos to the sound guys, because it was perfect. Loud, but not uncomfortable, and everyone came through clearly. Maynard's vocals were crystal clear and seated perfectly in the mix. Being a bass player myself, I could not have been more happy with how well I could hear Justin's playing and how fucking amazing his bass sounded. Love that gritty/clean tone.

I should address Tweak Bird for a moment. Heard mixed reactions to these guys, but I thought they were pretty darn good. They had a really jam-oriented, free-flowing feel with some pretty strong dynamics (though overall a heavy sound) as the songs progressed. I thought their guitarist produced some really cool tones, and their drummer was just plain dangerous. I really liked his approach to his playing and found myself laughing out loud a couple times when he'd pull something off that was totally badass. Subdued parts of songs were sometimes punctuated by these quick, absurd outbursts on the drums that I thought were hilarious. The flute/sax/etc player was a great addition and added an awesome dimension to their music. As far as the strange vocal style, ("Fourteen... spaceships") kind of thing, I thought they pulled it off and it definitely worked. I'm really glad I saw them. Conversely, the girlfriend couldn't stand them. Haha.

As far as Tool, all I can say is that like everyone else, I'd been hoping this tour would mean a different setlist; oh well. I went into this show knowing it was going to be relatively the same as I've already seen, and knowing that, I could just relax and enjoy a set of great songs. And that's what it was. I thought they nailed every song; the musicianship was just frighteningly tight, but as usual, looked and sounded effortless. The breakdown in Jambi had me grinning from ear to ear. Lost Keys and the added background track really threw me in a different place, and Rosetta Stoned stole the show for me. That song grooves in a heavier and cooler way than I thought music could. When the Asteroids video game visuals started during the drum and bass jam... it's too great for words. Flood was perfection, Aenima and Lateralus were epic, Vicarious was great, though it's not my favorite closer by a long shot.

Adam was stoic as always, and his playing sounded great.

Danny's not human; he's not. What else is new. I think his drumkit has its own zip code. Never fails to make me laugh when they unveil it.

Justin was a blast to watch play. That guy has never failed to look like there's no place he'd rather be - in great spirits, ran out on stage when they first came out with his hood up like a boxer. The whole crowd can feel that guy's enthusiasm and it really made the show for me.

I was prepared for a subdued, half checked-out Maynard based on what people have been saying, but he was the opposite. Best vocal performance I've heard to date, great interaction with the crowd, and he was REALLY into the show. Lots of Aenima-era style dancing and general hilarity.

Toronto crowd was great, overall. No laser pointers or shit thrown at the stage and no problems with anyone where I was sitting. Security was a pain in the ass; distracted me more than once at points where I REALLY didn't want to be distracted, including the finale of Lateralus, pushing past me through my row for some unbeknownst reason. If there's not a fight going on, stay the fuck out of the way.

Awesome, awesome show that was more than worth the money, time, and miles spent to get there. Tool SHOWED UP to Toronto, and they (all of them) DELIVERED. Thank you fellas for a very special night. Sad it's over; I'll never forget it; time to go create something positive.
OFFLINE |