View Single Post
Rblee2
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

This was my 6th Tool show. I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle. Good show, but not great.

I think pretty much everything has been covered at this point, but here are my pros/cons...

Cons: 1) Setlist: what more is there to say. Even two rotating songs in the setlist would have made my night. Just something different. I shouldn't have expected anything different, but sadly I let myself believe this show would be different and that they would throw in something special into the setlist. I can only blame myself. I should know better by now.

2) The Gwinnett Arena: I caught the show at Phillips Arena during the Lateralus tour and I've never heard better acoustics for a band before. I can't say the same for the Gwinnett Arena. All the instruments were extremely loud to the point where they began to drown each other out at certain points. I wasn't horrible. But not great either. Plus you could barely hear Maynard (although this was possibly by design).

3) Maynard - I know this has been covered too. But it really seems like he's checked out at this point. His voice is obviously not what it use to be.

Pros: 1) Adam, Justin, & Danny: These guys never cease to amaze me. They seem to get better and better as time goes along. I can't thank you guys enough for the impact you guys have had on my life all these years. I hope to keep attending Tool concerts for years to come.

2) Section 105 comrads: You guys were great. Thank you so much for not being the '07 Birmingham, AL crowd. I refuse to go back to that place. Fucking idiots!

3) Lateralus: This is probably the greatest live song I've ever heard. Its not my favorite Tool song. But I can't think of a better show ender and more inspiring song to go out on (I still don't have a clue why they close w/ Vicarious instead).

One final comment on Maynard. I know time takes a toll on a vocalist. And I'd say its safe to assume that's why they choose such a static setlist, use so much vocal distortion (I could really do without the megaphone on every song), and why he just downright refuses to sing certain parts of songs. But why on earth does he dash offstage after Vicarious while the other band members remain on stage. Its almost downright disrespect for all the people who have shelled out $60+, traveled an ungodly amount of miles to get to the show. And the worst part, had to put up with some of the dumbasses that actually show up to Tool concerts. Anyway, I must say I'm just not the biggest fan of the man right now.

I fear that Tool as we currently know it may cease to exist sooner than most of us think. I hope I'm completely wrong on this. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

This was my 6th Tool show. I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle. Good show, but not great.

I think pretty much everything has been covered at this point, but here are my pros/cons...

Cons: 1) Setlist: what more is there to say. Even two rotating songs in the setlist would have made my night. Just something different. I shouldn't have expected anything different, but sadly I let myself believe this show would be different and that they would throw in something special into the setlist. I can only blame myself. I should know better by now.

2) The Gwinnett Arena: I caught the show at Phillips Arena during the Lateralus tour and I've never heard better acoustics for a band before. I can't say the same for the Gwinnett Arena. All the instruments were extremely loud to the point where they began to drown each other out at certain points. I wasn't horrible. But not great either. Plus you could barely hear Maynard (although this was possibly by design).

3) Maynard - I know this has been covered too. But it really seems like he's checked out at this point. His voice is obviously not what it use to be.

Pros: 1) Adam, Justin, & Danny: These guys never cease to amaze me. They seem to get better and better as time goes along. I can't thank you guys enough for the impact you guys have had on my life all these years. I hope to keep attending Tool concerts for years to come.

2) Section 105 comrads: You guys were great. Thank you so much for not being the '07 Birmingham, AL crowd. I refuse to go back to that place. Fucking idiots!

3) Lateralus: This is probably the greatest live song I've ever heard. Its not my favorite Tool song. But I can't think of a better show ender and more inspiring song to go out on (I still don't have a clue why they close w/ Vicarious instead).

One final comment on Maynard. I know time takes a toll on a vocalist. And I'd say its safe to assume that's why they choose such a static setlist, use so much vocal distortion (I could really do without the megaphone on every song), and why he just downright refuses to sing certain parts of songs. But why on earth does he dash offstage after Vicarious while the other band members remain on stage. Its almost downright disrespect for all the people who have shelled out $60+, traveled an ungodly amount of miles to get to the show. And the worst part, had to put up with some of the dumbasses that actually show up to Tool concerts. Anyway, I must say I'm just not the biggest fan of the man right now.

I fear that Tool as we currently know it may cease to exist sooner than most of us think. I hope I'm completely wrong on this. Only time will tell I guess.
OFFLINE |