View Single Post
skagitize
07-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.
At least a few people must have seen that coming.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
sounds like we have a few patrons more worried about maynard's feelings... last time i checked i went to concerts to hear music.

how many people are usually on the crew to complete visual tasks?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.
At least a few people must have seen that coming.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
sounds like we have a few patrons more worried about maynard's feelings... last time i checked i went to concerts to hear music.

how many people are usually on the crew to complete visual tasks?
OFFLINE |