View Single Post
hreems's Avatar hreems
12-11-2007, 11:35 AM

If this post sounds negative, then I apologize in advance. The simple fact is that we don’t live in a world full of lollipops, bunny rabbits and daisies. We live in a free world that is being lead by George Bush.

This is my 6th Tool concert, dating back to 1997. To mix things up, let’s start with the bad, and it’s really only one thing. The band was dog fucking tired. Whoever is in charge of their tour schedule needs to be fired, Donald Trump style. Washington, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Los Angeles, and then San Fran? The retarded guy from the McDonalds commercial thinks that is stupid. Two shows in Vegas, but one show in a small venue in LA, their hometown? At best I was hoping that the power of economic forces would weed out the trash, but apparently that didn’t happen (although my neighbors in Orchestra row H were probably TOO mellow, if anything).

Justin spent most of the show was sitting on his sub-woofer. In concerts past dude was in full gold body paint kicking it in a speedo, with more energy than the energizer bunny. These guys were exhausted, and it showed. Not really their fault, but when most people are paying 3x face, then create a manageable tour schedule so they can at least bring their “A” game to their home town. Danny was the only one who brought any real vibe, thundering away at the skins rocking his Clippers jersey.

Now the good. Venue was fucking spectacular…a much needed step-up from the lousy Staples Center experience. The visuals were all that I hoped they would be. Jambi shredded as expected, although I think there were some unanticipated echoes from the squawk box that threw the band off a bit. Forgivable considering it’s a brand new venue and they probably had little time to rehearse thanks to the aforementioned death march of a tour schedule.

Lateralus is a musical masterpiece that Mozart himself would give the nod, and they played it to perfection. Rosetta Stoned was awesome both musically and visually, although the stiffs in my section didn’t seem share my enthusiasm. Maybe that was just me. I would have liked to hear “The Pot” and “Aenima”, but nobody can expect a custom made set list. The bottom line is that Vicarious blew the fucking doors off the new Nokia arena. Maynard brought the house on the lyrics, and the rhythm section called down the thunder that closed out the concert with a bang.

Like I’ve said in posts past, a Tool concert is always a relative degree of musical and visual ecstasy. Like blowjobs and pizza, it is never really bad, but instead always a pleasure and I feel lucky to have had the experience. I only hope that they keep it together and bring us more. Thanks for reading.

-GKW
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 10 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater

If this post sounds negative, then I apologize in advance. The simple fact is that we don’t live in a world full of lollipops, bunny rabbits and daisies. We live in a free world that is being lead by George Bush.

This is my 6th Tool concert, dating back to 1997. To mix things up, let’s start with the bad, and it’s really only one thing. The band was dog fucking tired. Whoever is in charge of their tour schedule needs to be fired, Donald Trump style. Washington, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Los Angeles, and then San Fran? The retarded guy from the McDonalds commercial thinks that is stupid. Two shows in Vegas, but one show in a small venue in LA, their hometown? At best I was hoping that the power of economic forces would weed out the trash, but apparently that didn’t happen (although my neighbors in Orchestra row H were probably TOO mellow, if anything).

Justin spent most of the show was sitting on his sub-woofer. In concerts past dude was in full gold body paint kicking it in a speedo, with more energy than the energizer bunny. These guys were exhausted, and it showed. Not really their fault, but when most people are paying 3x face, then create a manageable tour schedule so they can at least bring their “A” game to their home town. Danny was the only one who brought any real vibe, thundering away at the skins rocking his Clippers jersey.

Now the good. Venue was fucking spectacular…a much needed step-up from the lousy Staples Center experience. The visuals were all that I hoped they would be. Jambi shredded as expected, although I think there were some unanticipated echoes from the squawk box that threw the band off a bit. Forgivable considering it’s a brand new venue and they probably had little time to rehearse thanks to the aforementioned death march of a tour schedule.

Lateralus is a musical masterpiece that Mozart himself would give the nod, and they played it to perfection. Rosetta Stoned was awesome both musically and visually, although the stiffs in my section didn’t seem share my enthusiasm. Maybe that was just me. I would have liked to hear “The Pot” and “Aenima”, but nobody can expect a custom made set list. The bottom line is that Vicarious blew the fucking doors off the new Nokia arena. Maynard brought the house on the lyrics, and the rhythm section called down the thunder that closed out the concert with a bang.

Like I’ve said in posts past, a Tool concert is always a relative degree of musical and visual ecstasy. Like blowjobs and pizza, it is never really bad, but instead always a pleasure and I feel lucky to have had the experience. I only hope that they keep it together and bring us more. Thanks for reading.

-GKW
OFFLINE |