View Single Post
teeravuss
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM

To some this might have been a perfect show, but I myself have mixed feelings about it.

First, the good...

We had GA floor tickets and were really close to the stage while not being uncomfortable at all. While a couple half-hearted moshes broke out, the crowd was relatively calm (which isn't always a good thing... but I'll get to that in a minute). I've seen Tool 5 times in the past decade, and this is by far the best stage SHOW I've seen from these guys. The laser lights were incredible, solidifying the notion that Tool is the Pink Floyd of this era (which, isn't always a good thing). The trio of UFO-esque light globes that loomed over the stage moved around in a very cool, menacing manner (reminded me of the tripods in War of the Worlds). The moment in 10,000 Days when the backdrop dropped to reveal artwork from the album was quite effective.

Musically, the band was solid, only faltering a couple times. Justin's tone was incredible. His presence (in regard to performance and tone) helped to beef up and intensify the jammier part of songs like Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. Adam's talk-box solo on Jambi was spot on. Danny was, of course, a freaking machine. The dueling drum solo between him and Big Business drummer was seamless (much respect to the BB drummer!). Maynard seemed to be in a good mood; during the drum solo, Maynard shot out a stream of toilet paper into the air with the aid of an industrial fan. Early in the show, Maynard said to the crowd: "OK, one more time and don't disappoint me. What's round on the outside and high in the middle? What's round on the outside and high in the middle?" To this a bit of the crowd (myself included) responded: "Ohio!" He then thanked us for getting the joke (back in 97 at the Hara Arena in Dayton, he tried that joke and no one got it). Vocally, Maynard's peak performance had to be Rosetta Stoned. A very intense and dynamic delivery that didn't dissapoint.

The incorporation of synths and keys to their music was nice. In between a couple songs, both Adam and Maynard would drone on some nasty synth sounds. The song selection was nice... I was glad to see that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days worked well live. As they are extended jams with a mellow vibe throughout, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the songs live. The intensitiy of the band along with the light show (and the fast moving clouds on the projection screens) heloed out a lot. Which is to say, I enjoyed it :)

Alright, now the not-so good....

The setlist lacked some important songs. One of the strongest songs on the new album was MIA--The Pot (the biggest complaint everyone is having it seems). They played nothing from Undertow--my favorite album--or Opiate. Granted, I'm sure they're tired of these songs by now (after playing them for OVER a decade). However, Tool should consider the fans' desires as much as their own (especially considering that the tickets cost 65 bucks a pop). Why they didn't play Opiate or Undetow songs is, I suspect, because Maynard's voice is weakening. Which brings me to the vocals.

What this man does is far above anyone else in the rock world. His vocals are far beyond demanding. But Maynard's no spring chicken. He's--what?--forty-ish? So I understand that, naturally, his ability is going to subside with age. I remember back in 96 on the aenima tour, MJK would be painted up, contorting and gyrating in unhuman ways, and belting out godly notes/screams. I remember looking at him and thinking: "this guy's an alien." Of course, he's not. He's subject to the changes life brings upon all us humans. This is evident in his performance on friday. Gone are the unhuman gyrations. Gone are the balls-out, opened-throat screams. He hit all the notes, but without the intensity. The vocals were low in the mix, but that could be blamed on the sound guy. I'm not so much criticizing MJK's current abilities as much as I'm lamenting the days of yesteryear. Back in the day, Tool's show didn't come from laser lights, it came from maynard's alien stage presence. Seeing him onstage on friday, I saw a normal person like you or I.

Tool has become more "jammier" and long-winded. More than once I found myself bored, wondering "when is this drum solo going to be over? When are they going to kick back into a SONG?" Yes, I know Danny Carey is a sick drummer. But to interupt an important song like Lateralus is an insult to the song. What was once a spiritual glimpse into another world is cheapened into a van halen moment by dueling drum solos. The droning synth tones were cool and complimented the light effects, but slowed the pace of the show. I guess what I'm saying here is... Tool didn't use to be Pink Floyd. Tool use to be Tool.

I enjoyed the show, I even had a touch of those spiritual moments that I had years ago at their shows. But as I walked out, I couldn't help but feel something missing.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/29 - Cincinnati, OH

To some this might have been a perfect show, but I myself have mixed feelings about it.

First, the good...

We had GA floor tickets and were really close to the stage while not being uncomfortable at all. While a couple half-hearted moshes broke out, the crowd was relatively calm (which isn't always a good thing... but I'll get to that in a minute). I've seen Tool 5 times in the past decade, and this is by far the best stage SHOW I've seen from these guys. The laser lights were incredible, solidifying the notion that Tool is the Pink Floyd of this era (which, isn't always a good thing). The trio of UFO-esque light globes that loomed over the stage moved around in a very cool, menacing manner (reminded me of the tripods in War of the Worlds). The moment in 10,000 Days when the backdrop dropped to reveal artwork from the album was quite effective.

Musically, the band was solid, only faltering a couple times. Justin's tone was incredible. His presence (in regard to performance and tone) helped to beef up and intensify the jammier part of songs like Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. Adam's talk-box solo on Jambi was spot on. Danny was, of course, a freaking machine. The dueling drum solo between him and Big Business drummer was seamless (much respect to the BB drummer!). Maynard seemed to be in a good mood; during the drum solo, Maynard shot out a stream of toilet paper into the air with the aid of an industrial fan. Early in the show, Maynard said to the crowd: "OK, one more time and don't disappoint me. What's round on the outside and high in the middle? What's round on the outside and high in the middle?" To this a bit of the crowd (myself included) responded: "Ohio!" He then thanked us for getting the joke (back in 97 at the Hara Arena in Dayton, he tried that joke and no one got it). Vocally, Maynard's peak performance had to be Rosetta Stoned. A very intense and dynamic delivery that didn't dissapoint.

The incorporation of synths and keys to their music was nice. In between a couple songs, both Adam and Maynard would drone on some nasty synth sounds. The song selection was nice... I was glad to see that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days worked well live. As they are extended jams with a mellow vibe throughout, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the songs live. The intensitiy of the band along with the light show (and the fast moving clouds on the projection screens) heloed out a lot. Which is to say, I enjoyed it :)

Alright, now the not-so good....

The setlist lacked some important songs. One of the strongest songs on the new album was MIA--The Pot (the biggest complaint everyone is having it seems). They played nothing from Undertow--my favorite album--or Opiate. Granted, I'm sure they're tired of these songs by now (after playing them for OVER a decade). However, Tool should consider the fans' desires as much as their own (especially considering that the tickets cost 65 bucks a pop). Why they didn't play Opiate or Undetow songs is, I suspect, because Maynard's voice is weakening. Which brings me to the vocals.

What this man does is far above anyone else in the rock world. His vocals are far beyond demanding. But Maynard's no spring chicken. He's--what?--forty-ish? So I understand that, naturally, his ability is going to subside with age. I remember back in 96 on the aenima tour, MJK would be painted up, contorting and gyrating in unhuman ways, and belting out godly notes/screams. I remember looking at him and thinking: "this guy's an alien." Of course, he's not. He's subject to the changes life brings upon all us humans. This is evident in his performance on friday. Gone are the unhuman gyrations. Gone are the balls-out, opened-throat screams. He hit all the notes, but without the intensity. The vocals were low in the mix, but that could be blamed on the sound guy. I'm not so much criticizing MJK's current abilities as much as I'm lamenting the days of yesteryear. Back in the day, Tool's show didn't come from laser lights, it came from maynard's alien stage presence. Seeing him onstage on friday, I saw a normal person like you or I.

Tool has become more "jammier" and long-winded. More than once I found myself bored, wondering "when is this drum solo going to be over? When are they going to kick back into a SONG?" Yes, I know Danny Carey is a sick drummer. But to interupt an important song like Lateralus is an insult to the song. What was once a spiritual glimpse into another world is cheapened into a van halen moment by dueling drum solos. The droning synth tones were cool and complimented the light effects, but slowed the pace of the show. I guess what I'm saying here is... Tool didn't use to be Pink Floyd. Tool use to be Tool.

I enjoyed the show, I even had a touch of those spiritual moments that I had years ago at their shows. But as I walked out, I couldn't help but feel something missing.
OFFLINE |