View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Overall great show. Then again I only just got in. My brother and I managed to befriend somebody a while back who worked for the catering company that does Sydney Myer. Got us in using some names that were on the list, but that had pulled out of the shift some weeks back. So my brother and I were let in through the back, bypassed all the queues, checked out some of the backstage area and never got checked for id showing we weren't who we said we were. Infact we never picked up the credentials we were told we had to have so as to be let through to the main grassy area. Also it was free! Bad day for the security industry, great day for me. So maybe we just enjoyed it so much because we were never meant to have been there. I thought 46 & 2 was particularly tight and the best song for the night, the lasers looked great from the hill area, the guitar sound was the best I've ever heard at a Tool concert, and the last three numbers were outstanding (plus yes that sped up part of Schism is amazing - the sped up visuals too). Did notice though that Maynard seemingly coasted through Stinkfist, like he was holding himself back, or maybe his mike was just turned down low at the beginning.

Truthfully i loved the venue for Tool - just for the unique atmosphere. It was cool while watching them play Rosetta Stoned being able to look up at the stars above at the same time or the city in the background. And the way the lasers dissapeared into the sky above - very nice. That said however, come November or December I'll be hoping to take it back to the more traditional setting of Rod Laver. Also there seemed to be a lot of room to move - they could have fit a lot more people in there tonight. I had chunks of space in front of me most of the night.

Hmm there was a guy in a white tshirt that bolted past us at one point causing a commotion - was that you Art? Good stuff on getting in anyway

So overall yes I found it better than 2002, but not nearly as great as 2001. All different flavoured shows though

Last edited by A.S.H; 01-31-2007 at 06:56 AM..
OFFLINE |