View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Pushit Interpretations

To begin I'd like to say that these are some of my interpretations of what Tool's inspiration might be behind the tune Pushit, however the song can be interpreted on many different levels from many different people. So with that said here it goes.

In this post I will focus on two words that seem to strike out at me in the song. 'gap' and 'reflection'. Both these words present some striking imagery in the song. To me, his use of gap referes to the separation that lies between our experience of the physical and spiritual worlds. And by physical I mean all that is experienced via the physical senses, and by spiritual I mean that which is supersensible-beyond what is physically sensed.

To return to the lyrics I think the gap is that which lies between our everyday, concious life and a direct and conscious experience to the supersensible realm. The gap acts as a necessary --absolutely essential-- barrier to our experience of the spiritual world. To cross the gap *too soon* and enter upon the fields of the spirit can be destructive.

To clarify another aspect of the gap, I also suggest that it has a resident spirit-being (which may be interpreted as the 'entitiy' which MJK describes as pushing and shoving) which is called The Gaurdian of the Threshold- who is positioned before the gap to block entry into the spiritual world. Thus, the Gaurdian stops all who want to have a spiritual experience.

Just to elaborate still more, when a person seeks to cross, The Gaurdian stands before the person and presents its full form and being. To look at The Gaurdian is a horrific experience.

Alright... so why all this talk about The Gaurdian? I think the spirit-being called The Gaurdian is a reflection of one's own inner being. The Gaurdian is actually a manifestation of all the we have within our soul.

I experience the darkness of MJK's lyrics as having the quality of his own inner being- his soul. I don't think he necessarily has a full view of The Gaurdian, however, because the lyrics are not that horrific Rather it shows in his anger. For some reason, though, he has been able to sneak a peek of the spectral of The Gaurdian and speaks of it via his lyrics. Whether he has crossed the threshold *before* being morally prepared may be another discussion for a different time.

Alright ladies and Gents there's my interpretation of Pushit, I'd really enjoy hearing your opinions about what I've posted.

Thanks, A3rdEye
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote