View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/15 - Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderBryan View Post
You, as a Tool fan, should understand this! You're right, we didn't go to see the opening band, but in my OPINION, their choice could have been much better. For instance, Kyuss would have been a better selection. I just didn't think the types of music Isis put togather worked (elevator, heavy pogressive rock, and Pantera vocals). Maybe the guys in Tool lost a bet and had to bring them on tour.
OK, well, as an alternative to your "lost a bet" theory. Maybe Tool likes the way that when ISIS plays it's five guys who get to walk out on stage and rock out. It's not "walk out, play these songs this way" it's more "go out, and rock". I don't know how to explain it, but some music is more restraining in the way you play it. For instance, in a Tool performance- the vocals carry most of the emotion. minimilist vocals and the attention gets drawn to the "music" In contrast to the term "elevator music" I think "mood music" is more fitting. The only elevator you'll hear ISIS in is the elevator to hell. And besides, can you imagine an elevator ride with ISIS? I'd be soo spooked by the music that I'd almost be prepared for what I'd find at the bottom.

But yeah, it's all about opinion. In Tool's opinion, ISIS was a good choice for an opening band. Some people think they made an good choice. Others... not so much. Personally I'd prefer they bring someone I've NEVER heard -OF- before. So at this point I think I'm 3/4 on Tool(ish) introduced artists. I LOVE Bill Hicks (Really, I do. Quiz me. Give me a line, I'll finish it. Gimme an EtchASketch, I'll show my work.) I dig the shit outta Sunna (the (ish) part, I was introduced to Sunna when they were opening for Perfect Circle in the Mer de Noms tour. I'm digging ISIS. But I'm really not a fan of Mushuggah (sp?). 3/4 and that's to say nothing of the bands like BUTCHER, that are on my list of bands to give a serious chance.
OFFLINE |