View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #134
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/23 - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre

This was my first Tool concert ever, and I really, really enjoyed it. I've been trying to see them for a good while now and I finally had the fortune to get tickets. I was in section 406, just left of centre a few rows down from the lawn. I loved the setlist, it was very well thought out to cover a lot of material. When they started playing Wings For Marie the crowd went nuts, it was terrific to hear them play those two, as well as Lost Keys(Blame Hoffman) and Rosetta Stoned. For me the highlight was Lateralus, it was simply mindblowing. My one real disappointment was the sound quality. It's been mentioned before that Maynard's vocals got buried in the mix sometimes. I myself am a sound engineer. I found that with earplugs on, the show had a pretty good mix, but without them on the heavy parts the whole PA was just screaming high end. I noticed with plugs on that at some loud points both the guitar and Maynard were distorted. Their engineer was pushing the line array beyond it, or its amps' capacities. Considering the quality and expense of sound gear these days I'd expect much, much more accurate mixing on a show like that. Then again, JBL VerTec never sounded great :P.

Sorry to go on a rant! Anyway, as a first show I had a blast and hope to see them again soon.

P.S. The show ended somewhere around 11:10 PM.
OFFLINE |