View Single Post
savagehenry's Avatar savagehenry
03-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
One of my questions for him was "I have seen Tool many times, and each time you have a pretty eclectic band open for you that probably isn't too familiar to your mainstream fans. For example, last time I was here in San Diego, you had Melt Banana open for you, which I loved, but seemed to confuse a lot of folks in the audience. How do you select your opening bands?" And then a quick follow up to clarify "Do YOU personally select the bands or is it the whole group?".

His answer was they are so busy planning the tour and rehearsing that the opening band is often chosen just a couple weeks before the tour starts "Like, uh yea, guess we need an opener!" He said there wasn't anything intentional behind who they chose as the opening act, they all 4 would just throw out several bands they all liked or were listening to at the moment and have management go see who is available.

More on the Melvins influence on the grunge scene. He said the first time he saw Alice In Chains they were "wearing cowboy boots with open shirts" and the next time he saw them "they were wearing flannel." All, in his opinion, attributable to the Melvins.

He talked quite a bit about living with Tom Morello in the early days. He also spoke about meeting Maynard and how the Tool name came about. Something like "you're gonna get taken out the toolshed!" as a joke. He said they were initially influenced by Green Jello and thought his collaboration with Maynard would be in that vein until he found out Maynard could actually sing by listening to CAD (Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty- but he couldn't remember the name off hand). He said once he heard that, he immediately wanted to do something serious with Maynard.
It's been great reading your review. Haven't been online since I wrote my experience of Eugene. Sounds like you had a great experience as well. Adam was so personable and really a pleasure to meet. I'm looking forward to seeing them tonight. Just floor seating. I felt a bit spoiled getting to hear sound check and watch a show from the front row right in front of Justin. Very grateful for the experience.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: TOOL VIP EXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
One of my questions for him was "I have seen Tool many times, and each time you have a pretty eclectic band open for you that probably isn't too familiar to your mainstream fans. For example, last time I was here in San Diego, you had Melt Banana open for you, which I loved, but seemed to confuse a lot of folks in the audience. How do you select your opening bands?" And then a quick follow up to clarify "Do YOU personally select the bands or is it the whole group?".

His answer was they are so busy planning the tour and rehearsing that the opening band is often chosen just a couple weeks before the tour starts "Like, uh yea, guess we need an opener!" He said there wasn't anything intentional behind who they chose as the opening act, they all 4 would just throw out several bands they all liked or were listening to at the moment and have management go see who is available.

More on the Melvins influence on the grunge scene. He said the first time he saw Alice In Chains they were "wearing cowboy boots with open shirts" and the next time he saw them "they were wearing flannel." All, in his opinion, attributable to the Melvins.

He talked quite a bit about living with Tom Morello in the early days. He also spoke about meeting Maynard and how the Tool name came about. Something like "you're gonna get taken out the toolshed!" as a joke. He said they were initially influenced by Green Jello and thought his collaboration with Maynard would be in that vein until he found out Maynard could actually sing by listening to CAD (Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty- but he couldn't remember the name off hand). He said once he heard that, he immediately wanted to do something serious with Maynard.
It's been great reading your review. Haven't been online since I wrote my experience of Eugene. Sounds like you had a great experience as well. Adam was so personable and really a pleasure to meet. I'm looking forward to seeing them tonight. Just floor seating. I felt a bit spoiled getting to hear sound check and watch a show from the front row right in front of Justin. Very grateful for the experience.