View Single Post
simplydaman87
10-28-2006, 08:04 AM

is that they do a great job of making what maynard's saying ironically clash with the feel of the music to reinforce the point of the song. the intro and that first verse-chorus part actually feel good to listen to, at least to me, they're kind of hypnotic and pleasant musically. but what maynard's saying is almost sadistic and he's talking from the perspective of us, not him. he's saying it feels good for us watch people die through the music. then he gets angry and accusatory with the music in the middle. then the brilliant part is that tool plays the good feeling part again and slowly turns it angry and accusatory towards the people vicarious addresses. if you don't like this song it probably doesn't work for you, but it definitely enhances the song for me. and the best part is, it gave tool an excuse to make music that was just sweet to be sweet rather than artistic, so the parts made to feel good are ridiculously good music.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
one of the reasons vicarious is so good...

is that they do a great job of making what maynard's saying ironically clash with the feel of the music to reinforce the point of the song. the intro and that first verse-chorus part actually feel good to listen to, at least to me, they're kind of hypnotic and pleasant musically. but what maynard's saying is almost sadistic and he's talking from the perspective of us, not him. he's saying it feels good for us watch people die through the music. then he gets angry and accusatory with the music in the middle. then the brilliant part is that tool plays the good feeling part again and slowly turns it angry and accusatory towards the people vicarious addresses. if you don't like this song it probably doesn't work for you, but it definitely enhances the song for me. and the best part is, it gave tool an excuse to make music that was just sweet to be sweet rather than artistic, so the parts made to feel good are ridiculously good music.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote