View Single Post
xrox
01-27-2012, 09:32 PM

My experience was 95% positive. The 5% negative was the directional dead sound areas in the ACC, being too far away (sect 105), and constant interruptions from security and douches in the crowd. Not sure if the dead sound areas were due to standing waves (position) or clipping (time)???

IMO the show was absolutely amazing with great sound (if seated in the right location) and visuals. Unlike a few of you I thought the entire band including Maynard sounded strong.

Regarding some of the specific negative reviews from this or other shows about Maynards behaviour/mood I have a few comments:

“Maynard is not into it” or “Maynard left the stage early” or “Maynard didn’t speak to us”
It would have upset me if he actually sounded terrible or screwed up on a continuous basis. Fortunately he sounded amazing and made few errors. I don’t give a flying F$#K how he looks or acts as long as I hear that vocals and music I know and love. I pay for the music and visuals, not the bullshit crowd/band connection.

“Maynard stays in the shadows”
Where have you been the last 10 years? Of course he does. I honestly think it is cool and if he was out front wasted and flailing around like typical lead vocals I probably wouldn’t like TOOL as much as I do. I think the instruments forward layout is unique and a part of the mystique. I LOVE IT!!!!!

“Maynard hates his fans”
Again where have you been? Of course he does. He has stated so in interviews. He considers most TOOL fans cretans. I completely agree with him. Fan base is ripe with douches for some reason.

“Maynard does it for the money”
Have to disagree. If all the complainers stopped paying for TOOL products Maynard would probably be a happy guy. It is more likely that he is doing it for his bandmates which may be worse. Maybe his leaving the stage early every show is due to some tension between them. That would suck.

“Maynard’s voice is old and cracking”
Sure his voice cracks now and then. He has given interviews where he has stated that he could barely sing these songs when he originally wrote them so many years ago. I’m perfectly happy hearing the vast majority of the vocals near perfect unlike most other band lead vocals which IMO are solidly awful live compared to Maynared at his worst.

“TOOL is better off without Maynard”
That is asinine to say the least. How do you expect that to turn out? Please explain.

Regarding the Setlist:

I did not go to the show to see a particular song. I guess it depends how much of a fan you are of the band but for me I can’t imagine letting the absence or inclusion of one song ruin my experience with TOOL. Other bands, YES. Just not TOOL.

Also, checking the setlist from the Tour page I 100% expected the 1st show in Ontario to include Sober and Parabola IMO. I was hoping for the full 12 song setlist but lost parabol.
However, to be honest this Tour itself was a surprise and a treat and I’m EXTREMELY thankful to have it come to Toronto.

I hope I get to see them again.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.25.2012 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Center

My experience was 95% positive. The 5% negative was the directional dead sound areas in the ACC, being too far away (sect 105), and constant interruptions from security and douches in the crowd. Not sure if the dead sound areas were due to standing waves (position) or clipping (time)???

IMO the show was absolutely amazing with great sound (if seated in the right location) and visuals. Unlike a few of you I thought the entire band including Maynard sounded strong.

Regarding some of the specific negative reviews from this or other shows about Maynards behaviour/mood I have a few comments:

“Maynard is not into it” or “Maynard left the stage early” or “Maynard didn’t speak to us”
It would have upset me if he actually sounded terrible or screwed up on a continuous basis. Fortunately he sounded amazing and made few errors. I don’t give a flying F$#K how he looks or acts as long as I hear that vocals and music I know and love. I pay for the music and visuals, not the bullshit crowd/band connection.

“Maynard stays in the shadows”
Where have you been the last 10 years? Of course he does. I honestly think it is cool and if he was out front wasted and flailing around like typical lead vocals I probably wouldn’t like TOOL as much as I do. I think the instruments forward layout is unique and a part of the mystique. I LOVE IT!!!!!

“Maynard hates his fans”
Again where have you been? Of course he does. He has stated so in interviews. He considers most TOOL fans cretans. I completely agree with him. Fan base is ripe with douches for some reason.

“Maynard does it for the money”
Have to disagree. If all the complainers stopped paying for TOOL products Maynard would probably be a happy guy. It is more likely that he is doing it for his bandmates which may be worse. Maybe his leaving the stage early every show is due to some tension between them. That would suck.

“Maynard’s voice is old and cracking”
Sure his voice cracks now and then. He has given interviews where he has stated that he could barely sing these songs when he originally wrote them so many years ago. I’m perfectly happy hearing the vast majority of the vocals near perfect unlike most other band lead vocals which IMO are solidly awful live compared to Maynared at his worst.

“TOOL is better off without Maynard”
That is asinine to say the least. How do you expect that to turn out? Please explain.

Regarding the Setlist:

I did not go to the show to see a particular song. I guess it depends how much of a fan you are of the band but for me I can’t imagine letting the absence or inclusion of one song ruin my experience with TOOL. Other bands, YES. Just not TOOL.

Also, checking the setlist from the Tour page I 100% expected the 1st show in Ontario to include Sober and Parabola IMO. I was hoping for the full 12 song setlist but lost parabol.
However, to be honest this Tour itself was a surprise and a treat and I’m EXTREMELY thankful to have it come to Toronto.

I hope I get to see them again.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote