View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/11/05 - Lisbon, PRT - Atlantico Pavillion

My two cents:

Number one for the freekin’ organization:

It took ages to get in! By the time Mastodon was finishing their act, there where still thousands of people in line. This happened because the police was performing a thorough search of everyone getting in! Even lighters weren’t allowed. I mean, don’t take me wrong, I think that is just fine. But I always assume this is done to discourage people from getting in with dangerous stuff, not poking in everyone’s purse and personal belongings. In short… it took forever

Number two for the freekin’ organization and the freekin’ sound engineers:

The sound was, as you can hope in Atlântico Pavillion, most of the time pretty bad. I can’t believe that something that was built to receive musical performances has such shity acoustics. It might just be me, but it seemed that songs from 10k day had generally a worst sound than the rest of the set. Just too freeking loud! I do understand that in that venue, sound perception varies A LOT depending of where you are standing, but c’mon! Why do they have to crank it up until it distorts in this place? That bottom end buzz nearly blew my ears. In other Tool shows I saw, I could feel my chest vibrating when Justin hit those low notes, in this show, it was just ear piercing. This room really could use a lower ceiling…

Now for TOOL

Ok, this was my third Tool show and I enjoyed it, a lot! But… it was a tad too short, and I was a bit disappointed that it was the same set list they had played in SBSR except Right in Two was replaced by Lost Keyes and Rosetta Stoned. I was really hoping that they played 10k days and Wings, but oh well… It was still a great show.

Adam was very calm as usual. He his probably the most energy efficient guitarist I’ve ever seen! But that’s just the way it is, and that’s fine. He still rocks!
Maynard was his usual self, theatrically immersed in his performance. The sound problems didn’t make him justice. He was great, even with that gas mask! :D
Danny is amazing. Period. Incredible polyrhythm hypnotic freak, and probably one of the nicest people I’ve seen on stage. The man smiles ear to ear! That’s great!
Justin always seems to me to be really enjoying himself. Good performance.

Adam had technical problems ad the band sat together a bit while it was being solved. Danny lit a lighter, the audience followed. Maynard announced they’ll be back in the end of next summer (please not Atlântico Pavilion again).

All in all it was still great. A Tool show, is a Tool show, and it always be above average in my book. Thank you, and see you again in ten months or so!