View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/30 - Grenoble, FRA - Summum Theater

Just got back from the show. Lots of things to say, dont really know where to start.
It was a five hour drive to get there, and we arrived five hours early to be on the safe side, we were just having an early lunch and danny and justin popped out of the hall on their bikes for a whizz round the town. Justin has hairy legs.

Same set list as usual, so no surprises really. Wasnt too dissapointed that they didnt play very long, as i wasnt expecting them to.
It was my third time seeing tool, and fifth time seeing maynard. This was the first time maynards voice didnt absolutely fill the hall. The bass was too loud and muddy, even though justin was playing really well, as was danny. Adam didnt really seem that into the gig, judging by his expression, but then again you cant really tell, and apart from fucking up the end on rosetta stoned i didnt notice any mistakes.
Maynard was his usual nonchalent self, and seemed in a good mood.
They did this new fast riff in the middle of schism that was strange, kind of half drum solo half big noisey guitars. Stinkfist was the extended version. Forty six and two was fucking good, the drum solo was perfect, danny didnt seem to miss a beat all night.
Right in two was beautiful. Lateralus very powerful. A lot of the time you couldnt really make out the bass notes though, just a great big woomph, and that drowned out the vocals. I had a very good seat; right in the middle, two rows back from the mixing desk, so i have absolutely no idea what was wrong with the sound engineers, either its deliberate to cover up the fact that they're a little bit sloppy still, or the guy needs to get sacked. Maynard seemed to be singing ok so they could have just brought the vocals up and the bass down. Adams guitar also very loud. On the passges where he used both mics simultaneously you could here him much better. He didnt push his voice much, maybe saving himself for a long tour, avoiding burnout or something...
Among comments he said "hopefully see you soon" "our new album apparently did well in belgium and a suburb of chechoslovakia" "you scary scary people" "have we been here before? i cant remember....brain damage"
So overall a bit dissapointed, especially as i was with two people who had never seen tool before. Also i might add that im a sound engineer and musician so from that you should gather that the sound really wasnt that great. But then again, its tool, and if you know the songs well then you can get into them even with poor sound. Maybe the hall isnt that great. Im going to see them in london and paris in a couple of weeks, so i can compare the sound with those two.
danny and justin 10 out of 10

Other than that, i was the guy with green dreadlocks.
OFFLINE |