View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: Pushit Interpretations

Oh man i could get into a bunch of different possible interpretations of this song. For some reason, though, I am having trouble interpreting it as a whole. But as for different stanzas in the lyrics I have a few interpretations, and not only are they interpretations of the lyrics, but they are interpretations of the lyrics as they are relative to me, my experiences and my journey:

"Saw that gap again today.
While you were begging me to stay.
Take care not to make me enter.
If I do we both may disappear."

For me that gap has been like a wall between me and someone else, and like a wall between society and myself. Its like society wants me to be a part of their system and be like them and function as they do, yet I am not a good enough person (to them) or I don't have enough money or whatever to be a part of their group. If I were to enter that group, I would disappear as an individual, and they would disappear from their group because they would no longer be included because they included me.

"What are you but my reflection?
Who am I to judge or strike you down?"

For me it is sarcastic in a sense that society is hypocritical (?/spelling). If I were a part of "normal society" I would be the same as them. They are no better than me and me no better than them so who I am to judge or strike them down?

"I am somewhere I dont wanna be, yeah
Put me somewhere I dont wanna be
Push me somewhere I dont wanna be
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see
Never wanna see that place again..."

For me this part of the song is interpreted in two ways:

1> simply, the place where i don't want to be is in "normal" society, i would rather declare myself independant from it and form my own way of living.

2> also, if to inform / think for myself i must question authority, and to do that i must be in a vulnerable, confused state of "mind" then i must leave the place i am now, hence "the other side" , and maybe i am not happy where i am but leaving it is scary, and i don't want to be in a scary place, or a place where i might be vulnerable to bad things, yet I must sacrifice that for the good things

"If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way"

again, there's good old society trying to comfort me by providing order thru rules and regulations, And if they (they being society) don't like what I think up, only after they encouraged me to think for myself thruout my entire "up bringing" , they will try and persuade me another way than my own

"Staring down the hole again.
Hands are on my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come."

I am back where i started again,
all i've got is whatever i use to survive
bad things may happen, but so may good

Well, that is a short--beleive it or not--version of how i interpret/use this song as a tool to help me thru my journey and to find new perspectives on things and to express myself

PS : sorry if i babble, thats just me
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote