View Single Post
vestal
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM

This was my 3rd time seeing the band. The first time was on their last tour in St. Louis. I was so completely blown away that as soon as I came home I went online to see when I could see them next, which happened to be in Chicago 2 days later.

At that first show in St. Louis, I thought literally that I was going to die, that my heart was going to be pulled out of my chest and that at the very least, the powerful vibrations from the sound would cause an irregularity in my heart rhythm and I would surely die of a heart attack. Once I came to the conclusion that no one had yet died at a Tool show, I relaxed and allowed myself to become completely overwhelmed and had one of the best nights of my life. Ditto in Chicago a couple of days later. After the show I was walking on air, as was everyone around me. People were talking to one another with expressions of wonder and happiness.

Not so much this show. I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the show and I love the band and I'm glad I went however, that special something was missing for me too. Maynard did not do the difficult parts, which was a disappointment for me. Also, I would have hoped that the band would have done a very different setlist from the last time they toured.

That they have toured again and don't have a new cd and there is no talk of them in the works for a new cd make me fear they may just have jumped the shark. If that is so, I am very sorry as Tool is a wonderful band with really inventive, magical ideas, both musically and lyrically. I hope that this tour reminds them of the magic that they can create and this will inspire them back to the studio so the world can once more be crazy happy.

I'm happy for the folks who said they had good sound and that this was their best Tool show ever. I wish I could have said the same. I'm not giving up though. Come to St. Louis guys! You sold out there too, remember?!

Reading the prior note about Maynard in the elevator saddens me. I know there are lots of nutty folks in america but geeez, Maynard...... I know you're great and all, but please try to get over yourself a little bit.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

This was my 3rd time seeing the band. The first time was on their last tour in St. Louis. I was so completely blown away that as soon as I came home I went online to see when I could see them next, which happened to be in Chicago 2 days later.

At that first show in St. Louis, I thought literally that I was going to die, that my heart was going to be pulled out of my chest and that at the very least, the powerful vibrations from the sound would cause an irregularity in my heart rhythm and I would surely die of a heart attack. Once I came to the conclusion that no one had yet died at a Tool show, I relaxed and allowed myself to become completely overwhelmed and had one of the best nights of my life. Ditto in Chicago a couple of days later. After the show I was walking on air, as was everyone around me. People were talking to one another with expressions of wonder and happiness.

Not so much this show. I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the show and I love the band and I'm glad I went however, that special something was missing for me too. Maynard did not do the difficult parts, which was a disappointment for me. Also, I would have hoped that the band would have done a very different setlist from the last time they toured.

That they have toured again and don't have a new cd and there is no talk of them in the works for a new cd make me fear they may just have jumped the shark. If that is so, I am very sorry as Tool is a wonderful band with really inventive, magical ideas, both musically and lyrically. I hope that this tour reminds them of the magic that they can create and this will inspire them back to the studio so the world can once more be crazy happy.

I'm happy for the folks who said they had good sound and that this was their best Tool show ever. I wish I could have said the same. I'm not giving up though. Come to St. Louis guys! You sold out there too, remember?!

Reading the prior note about Maynard in the elevator saddens me. I know there are lots of nutty folks in america but geeez, Maynard...... I know you're great and all, but please try to get over yourself a little bit.
OFFLINE |