View Single Post
MrDiggler
08-03-2009, 08:17 AM

12th show and probably the worst one I've been too. And I'm sad to say this is probably all due to Maynard.

Setlist was:

1. Jambi
2. (-) ions/Stinkist
3. 46 & 2
4. Schism
5. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
6. Flood (with the intro)
7. Aenema
8. Lateralus
9. Vicarious

Tool took the stage around 9:45 after an UBER long wait. MJK mentioned something about his delayed flight from New Jersey. Whatev.

The band was in tip-top shape with an energy about them. They were almost glowing. Adam moved around more than I've ever seen him do. Justin always looks into it and is having fun. But the highlight of course, is the force that is Danny Carey. What an "octopus" behind the kit. Added tons of fills to all their tunes and seemed to be hitting harder than any other tour. Kudos to these 3 gents.

Now on to Mr. Keenan. To me, it just seems like he'd rather be doing something else, whether it be Puscifer or squashing grapes in Arizona. In June when he was here to promote his wine signing, he said something on WBCN along the lines of the band set up this summer tour and to just "show up," saying he didn't have any say in the matter. And this felt like punishment for that.

Man, he's just lost so much on his voice (i.e., walking to the front of his riser and holding the mic out to the crowd to sing the highest lines). Sure, he's getting older. But to that I say, how about Paul Rodgers? That dude is 60 and sounds better than he did in the 70's. Or the vocal chameleon Mike Patton, who's close in age with Maynard and screams a fuckload more. No probs for him. Or how about Tony Bennett who's in his 80's and still killing it with his soprano? Something is just not right there.

I love this band with all my heart, been a fan since 1993 and I take it hard when it's anything less than spectacular. So for me there's no reason for a set list that dates back to 3 years ago. And Maynard's voice seems like reason for this. If that's the case, then stay home and write new material. Don't jip your fans out of their hard earned money with a repeat 9 song setlist and $45 tee shirts.

I've always hated when bands eventually lower the keys of songs so the lead singers can hit the notes that they used to be able too. But with Tool, I wouldn't mind if they did it. In fact, I'm encouraging it. So maybe the band lower the tunings of their instruments. Go from "Drop D" to a half step below.....or even a whole step. Maynard won't struggle to hit the high notes, it'll open the avenues of old that have since been detoured and we'd get songs that haven't been performed in years. And we really need it. Please!!!
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.02.09 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena

12th show and probably the worst one I've been too. And I'm sad to say this is probably all due to Maynard.

Setlist was:

1. Jambi
2. (-) ions/Stinkist
3. 46 & 2
4. Schism
5. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
6. Flood (with the intro)
7. Aenema
8. Lateralus
9. Vicarious

Tool took the stage around 9:45 after an UBER long wait. MJK mentioned something about his delayed flight from New Jersey. Whatev.

The band was in tip-top shape with an energy about them. They were almost glowing. Adam moved around more than I've ever seen him do. Justin always looks into it and is having fun. But the highlight of course, is the force that is Danny Carey. What an "octopus" behind the kit. Added tons of fills to all their tunes and seemed to be hitting harder than any other tour. Kudos to these 3 gents.

Now on to Mr. Keenan. To me, it just seems like he'd rather be doing something else, whether it be Puscifer or squashing grapes in Arizona. In June when he was here to promote his wine signing, he said something on WBCN along the lines of the band set up this summer tour and to just "show up," saying he didn't have any say in the matter. And this felt like punishment for that.

Man, he's just lost so much on his voice (i.e., walking to the front of his riser and holding the mic out to the crowd to sing the highest lines). Sure, he's getting older. But to that I say, how about Paul Rodgers? That dude is 60 and sounds better than he did in the 70's. Or the vocal chameleon Mike Patton, who's close in age with Maynard and screams a fuckload more. No probs for him. Or how about Tony Bennett who's in his 80's and still killing it with his soprano? Something is just not right there.

I love this band with all my heart, been a fan since 1993 and I take it hard when it's anything less than spectacular. So for me there's no reason for a set list that dates back to 3 years ago. And Maynard's voice seems like reason for this. If that's the case, then stay home and write new material. Don't jip your fans out of their hard earned money with a repeat 9 song setlist and $45 tee shirts.

I've always hated when bands eventually lower the keys of songs so the lead singers can hit the notes that they used to be able too. But with Tool, I wouldn't mind if they did it. In fact, I'm encouraging it. So maybe the band lower the tunings of their instruments. Go from "Drop D" to a half step below.....or even a whole step. Maynard won't struggle to hit the high notes, it'll open the avenues of old that have since been detoured and we'd get songs that haven't been performed in years. And we really need it. Please!!!
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09
OFFLINE |