View Single Post
Typhoeus
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM

This was my 3rd Tool show, driving 4 hrs to see them, and I wasn't disappointed. My girlfriend and I arrived late and missed Jambi and Stinkfist (hence missing the throwing of the megaphone, as a sound engineer I laugh bc that channel could've been muted and not un-muted before said throw, but then again, there could have been a couple reasons why the mic didn't work.) Forty-Six & 2 was sick! Danny Carey is a drumming phenom. Schism was great as well. Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned, Flood, Aenima segment was the meat of the show, producing some some really heavy moments. Lost Keys intro was something I had never heard. I remember thinking that Maynard must have recorded something new. He didn't scream like I've heard him before, but maybe his voice wasn't up to screaming par, or maybe he just didn't feel like it. Flood was the titties! Aenima had no breathing intro and only 2 riffs maybe before driving right into the song. Not complaining, just making note. Not sure if they have been playing the song this way as I have yet to read any previous reviews.

I have some gripes, but I'll finish the positive before the negative. Upon returning from intermission, a thunderous Lateralus raged the Patriot Center with Danny overshadowing the guest drummer like the clouds of Mordor. Then again, Danny would destroy many a drummer IMO. Vicarious was a great closer as it brings enough energy to endure a 4 hr ride home a full 20hrs later. All in all, amazing show. I thought the show was great, light show killer, and the video awesome, especially being cast upon the marley(white stage floor).

Ok, so now with the negative. I think they could've chosen a few different songs. I'm not going to say swap this song for this song(that's their job), but I would love to hear Parabol>Parabola, the Pot, Third Eye, Reflection>Disposition>Triad, etc. I've heard this setlist each time I've seen Tool, minus Wings pt 1 & 2. That said, I still loved what I heard. Next is Maynard. He seemed that he just wasn't into being there. Maybe being close to D.C. had the opposite effect of what ShadoWolf posted. He walked behind Danny's kit several times, maybe to tribute the latter 3 raging their instrumental parts. I don't know. I know he said, "I'm gunna go have a beer" while they do their thing, but he didn't, just water. Plus, upon returning from intermission, he was swatting his arms at who knows what as he walked on stage and up center. Reminded me of the SNL Uncle Jemima'a Malt Liquor skit (Maaan, What chooo swattin at??). He lacked in climactic screams and just seemed to be tired. Could have been a number of things. And finally, stop bringing drummers on stage to dual, or duet, or whatever with Danny. As much as I love to see Danny anniahlate other drummers publicly, it's really not that entertaining. Unless they're going to bring up a drummer with some real chops to duet with Danny, they should seriously stop.

All that said, I'd like to say thank you to Adam, Justin, Maynard, and Danny (personal idol) for an amazing show. I'll be either front row or at the mix position for APW. See you there.

"Today, in 2009, we were here."
Old 07-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

This was my 3rd Tool show, driving 4 hrs to see them, and I wasn't disappointed. My girlfriend and I arrived late and missed Jambi and Stinkfist (hence missing the throwing of the megaphone, as a sound engineer I laugh bc that channel could've been muted and not un-muted before said throw, but then again, there could have been a couple reasons why the mic didn't work.) Forty-Six & 2 was sick! Danny Carey is a drumming phenom. Schism was great as well. Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned, Flood, Aenima segment was the meat of the show, producing some some really heavy moments. Lost Keys intro was something I had never heard. I remember thinking that Maynard must have recorded something new. He didn't scream like I've heard him before, but maybe his voice wasn't up to screaming par, or maybe he just didn't feel like it. Flood was the titties! Aenima had no breathing intro and only 2 riffs maybe before driving right into the song. Not complaining, just making note. Not sure if they have been playing the song this way as I have yet to read any previous reviews.

I have some gripes, but I'll finish the positive before the negative. Upon returning from intermission, a thunderous Lateralus raged the Patriot Center with Danny overshadowing the guest drummer like the clouds of Mordor. Then again, Danny would destroy many a drummer IMO. Vicarious was a great closer as it brings enough energy to endure a 4 hr ride home a full 20hrs later. All in all, amazing show. I thought the show was great, light show killer, and the video awesome, especially being cast upon the marley(white stage floor).

Ok, so now with the negative. I think they could've chosen a few different songs. I'm not going to say swap this song for this song(that's their job), but I would love to hear Parabol>Parabola, the Pot, Third Eye, Reflection>Disposition>Triad, etc. I've heard this setlist each time I've seen Tool, minus Wings pt 1 & 2. That said, I still loved what I heard. Next is Maynard. He seemed that he just wasn't into being there. Maybe being close to D.C. had the opposite effect of what ShadoWolf posted. He walked behind Danny's kit several times, maybe to tribute the latter 3 raging their instrumental parts. I don't know. I know he said, "I'm gunna go have a beer" while they do their thing, but he didn't, just water. Plus, upon returning from intermission, he was swatting his arms at who knows what as he walked on stage and up center. Reminded me of the SNL Uncle Jemima'a Malt Liquor skit (Maaan, What chooo swattin at??). He lacked in climactic screams and just seemed to be tired. Could have been a number of things. And finally, stop bringing drummers on stage to dual, or duet, or whatever with Danny. As much as I love to see Danny anniahlate other drummers publicly, it's really not that entertaining. Unless they're going to bring up a drummer with some real chops to duet with Danny, they should seriously stop.

All that said, I'd like to say thank you to Adam, Justin, Maynard, and Danny (personal idol) for an amazing show. I'll be either front row or at the mix position for APW. See you there.

"Today, in 2009, we were here."
OFFLINE |