View Single Post
EdgeDC
07-31-2009, 11:11 AM

First post, second Tool concert, longtime fan since I first heard Sober at a club in college, circa 1993.

I was at last night's show, along with a lady friend who is a fresh Tool virgin - after discovering that she was a big fan of Nine Inch Nails (as I am), it was an easy "no brainer" to introduce her to Tool as well, since there's a healthy amount of fandom crossover between the two. :)

I first saw them at Richmond Coliseum in June, 2007. Overall, I think that the Richmond show was the better concert - the energy there in the crowd, the overall feeling was just that much more powerful... although it being my first Tool show and the amazement realized in witnessing their unique live style (Before: "Why are they all wearing white?" During: "OMG THAT'S SO AWESOME") probably played a role there.

However, the smaller sized, more personal feeling of the Patriot Center, plus the fact I had a much more engaged and enthusiastic partner-in-crime with me made last night's show just plain awesome.

True enough, Maynard's vocals were not entirely decipherable at all times... but from where we sat (section 130, row Q), it still seemed he was having a good time for the most part. I really appreciated when he said "Pretend this is home, and the people around you are all your new roommates" - it made me smile... very cool to encourage us all to peacefully enjoy the moment together.

The set, the light show and projects were, as expected, just plain awesome. I had been "selling" the entire Tool concert experience to my friend for several weeks now, and I am very happy that it delivered - and then some!

I blew way too much money on merchandise (one shirt for me, one for my date, plus a keychain and 2 posters, including a signed one), but I figured "you only live once" and who knows when I'll get a chance to see them again? I can't afford to travel the country with them like some of you groupies (how in the heck does anyone manage to do that and keep a job? Unless you're all wealthy students on summer break?).

My friend brought earplugs for both of us - she lasted through 3 or 4 songs without them, but had to put them in eventually. I tried mine, but changed my mind after only 20 seconds or so - it was just too muted - I need to HEAR as well as FEEL the power of those riffs! My ears are still ringing today but I'm smiling from one to the other. Thanks to Adam, Danny, Justin and yes, Maynard for a fantastic experience... and to all of the rest of you Toolheads for just being plain cool people to share the moment with for a few hours! :)

Last edited by EdgeDC; 07-31-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

First post, second Tool concert, longtime fan since I first heard Sober at a club in college, circa 1993.

I was at last night's show, along with a lady friend who is a fresh Tool virgin - after discovering that she was a big fan of Nine Inch Nails (as I am), it was an easy "no brainer" to introduce her to Tool as well, since there's a healthy amount of fandom crossover between the two. :)

I first saw them at Richmond Coliseum in June, 2007. Overall, I think that the Richmond show was the better concert - the energy there in the crowd, the overall feeling was just that much more powerful... although it being my first Tool show and the amazement realized in witnessing their unique live style (Before: "Why are they all wearing white?" During: "OMG THAT'S SO AWESOME") probably played a role there.

However, the smaller sized, more personal feeling of the Patriot Center, plus the fact I had a much more engaged and enthusiastic partner-in-crime with me made last night's show just plain awesome.

True enough, Maynard's vocals were not entirely decipherable at all times... but from where we sat (section 130, row Q), it still seemed he was having a good time for the most part. I really appreciated when he said "Pretend this is home, and the people around you are all your new roommates" - it made me smile... very cool to encourage us all to peacefully enjoy the moment together.

The set, the light show and projects were, as expected, just plain awesome. I had been "selling" the entire Tool concert experience to my friend for several weeks now, and I am very happy that it delivered - and then some!

I blew way too much money on merchandise (one shirt for me, one for my date, plus a keychain and 2 posters, including a signed one), but I figured "you only live once" and who knows when I'll get a chance to see them again? I can't afford to travel the country with them like some of you groupies (how in the heck does anyone manage to do that and keep a job? Unless you're all wealthy students on summer break?).

My friend brought earplugs for both of us - she lasted through 3 or 4 songs without them, but had to put them in eventually. I tried mine, but changed my mind after only 20 seconds or so - it was just too muted - I need to HEAR as well as FEEL the power of those riffs! My ears are still ringing today but I'm smiling from one to the other. Thanks to Adam, Danny, Justin and yes, Maynard for a fantastic experience... and to all of the rest of you Toolheads for just being plain cool people to share the moment with for a few hours! :)

Last edited by EdgeDC; 07-31-2009 at 12:28 PM..
OFFLINE |