View Single Post
Nonplussed
07-31-2009, 09:08 AM

I agree with the "good, not great" theme. Obligatory Tool credentials: Listening since Aenima but have only had access to one show before (used to live in the boonies), on the summer tour '07. That show was much better.

First of all, our seating. I've been reading a lot of compliments about the sound at Patriot Center. Was anybody in the seats in the corner sections? I could not hear Maynard AT ALL, and his lyrics are what makes Tool Tool, for me. So that was by far the biggest disappointment. The overall sound seemed a bit muddled too; I even got lost a few times and I know the material back to front. Guitars were deliciously loud and crunching my brain, but I would have sold my soul for more vocals. Long story short: Don't sit in the corner section. And especially don't pay $60 apiece to do so (although admittedly that's a steal compared to the small-venue tour of '07).

Second, the performance. I feel like especially Maynard but the rest of the band too, save Danny, called it in a bit, going through the motions to an extent. Maynard's energy is unquestionably down, and he's gone for half the show (gonna go have a beer? Would be funny if it weren't true). Justin made two major mistakes coming in too early (I think perhaps on 46 and Schism?). The ambient parts are too long for such a short concert. And I really could have done without the Tweak Bird drummer duet -- just give it to Danny. Lateralus is sacred.

BUT -- despite all my bitching, it was a grand spectacle worthy of Tool. The visuals are as haunting and mind-blowing as ever. The setlist was near-perfect (I could really do without Keys/Rosetta, blasphemy I know -- but it gets no better than Lateralus, Aenima, Jambi and Schism).

One last thing to perhaps betray my naiveté: is this Chapel of Sacred Mirrors shit for real? The "Tool Church"? Are you fucking KIDDING me?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

I agree with the "good, not great" theme. Obligatory Tool credentials: Listening since Aenima but have only had access to one show before (used to live in the boonies), on the summer tour '07. That show was much better.

First of all, our seating. I've been reading a lot of compliments about the sound at Patriot Center. Was anybody in the seats in the corner sections? I could not hear Maynard AT ALL, and his lyrics are what makes Tool Tool, for me. So that was by far the biggest disappointment. The overall sound seemed a bit muddled too; I even got lost a few times and I know the material back to front. Guitars were deliciously loud and crunching my brain, but I would have sold my soul for more vocals. Long story short: Don't sit in the corner section. And especially don't pay $60 apiece to do so (although admittedly that's a steal compared to the small-venue tour of '07).

Second, the performance. I feel like especially Maynard but the rest of the band too, save Danny, called it in a bit, going through the motions to an extent. Maynard's energy is unquestionably down, and he's gone for half the show (gonna go have a beer? Would be funny if it weren't true). Justin made two major mistakes coming in too early (I think perhaps on 46 and Schism?). The ambient parts are too long for such a short concert. And I really could have done without the Tweak Bird drummer duet -- just give it to Danny. Lateralus is sacred.

BUT -- despite all my bitching, it was a grand spectacle worthy of Tool. The visuals are as haunting and mind-blowing as ever. The setlist was near-perfect (I could really do without Keys/Rosetta, blasphemy I know -- but it gets no better than Lateralus, Aenima, Jambi and Schism).

One last thing to perhaps betray my naiveté: is this Chapel of Sacred Mirrors shit for real? The "Tool Church"? Are you fucking KIDDING me?
OFFLINE |