View Single Post
sinfall's Avatar sinfall
07-31-2009, 06:46 AM

This was the 5th show for the Wife and I since 2006. This time also included the presence of our first child (Son) enjoying the concert from the womb. As someone else mentioned in an earlier post, I too got to feel my son kick for the first time last night at the Tool show. We had noticed the past few weeks that he gets VERY active when Tool is on the radio or I am jamming it on the guitar, so we were excited to see how he reacted movement wise during their concert. My wife said he was most active during Lateralus.

Anyway, on to the review... We got there around 2pm and headed straight to the tour bus are as we usually do. Not to scream at any of the guys, but to just relax and kind of take in the day of work for the band and crew. As soon as we walked up, Adam and his dog were leaving the bus and heading in to the arena. A few minutes later Justin came out on his bike and took a ride around campus, through the parking lots where everyone was parked. At this point my wife and I noticed more security and event staff around the area and of course were were asked to leave the "balcony" that overlooked the tour buses and crew. If I had to guess the sudden change, I would say Maynard was probably ready to leave his bus and come inside and didn't want people screaming at him or throwing things. You never know...

So the doors finally opened and I immediately went and got an even poster for the night. tonight's was about half the size of the previous stops on the tour, but did have an embossed seal on the back. From there we made our way to our seats in section 116 row U. At this point I realized I should have just taken the lower seats at the opposite end of the arena from the stage. We were up a eye level or a little above the lighting truss, so while the birds eye view of Adam was different, it would have been better to be closer to the floor.

Tweak Bird was certainly different. I thought the drummer had a lot of talent, but not a band I would go out and buy their CD. They were definitely a better opener than Melt Banana LOL.

TOOL was great as usual. Could I hav dreamed for a different setlist, of course. As mentioned during Stinkfist there were some technical issues with Maynard's mics, but other than that anything else went unnoticed from my vantage point. The crowd seemed really into it, although every time we see them it seems our section is the section that likes to sit down... WTF. My wife sat down a couple of time because her feet were swelling and back was hurting. I think there were a few times where it was myself and the guy next to me as the only people left standing in our section. No big deal, but just funny to me. Everyone already knows the highlights, etc. so there you have it.

Here are quite a few of our pics from the night. All shot with just an iphone, so no highres, sorry.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...20-%207302009/

Last edited by sinfall; 07-31-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

This was the 5th show for the Wife and I since 2006. This time also included the presence of our first child (Son) enjoying the concert from the womb. As someone else mentioned in an earlier post, I too got to feel my son kick for the first time last night at the Tool show. We had noticed the past few weeks that he gets VERY active when Tool is on the radio or I am jamming it on the guitar, so we were excited to see how he reacted movement wise during their concert. My wife said he was most active during Lateralus.

Anyway, on to the review... We got there around 2pm and headed straight to the tour bus are as we usually do. Not to scream at any of the guys, but to just relax and kind of take in the day of work for the band and crew. As soon as we walked up, Adam and his dog were leaving the bus and heading in to the arena. A few minutes later Justin came out on his bike and took a ride around campus, through the parking lots where everyone was parked. At this point my wife and I noticed more security and event staff around the area and of course were were asked to leave the "balcony" that overlooked the tour buses and crew. If I had to guess the sudden change, I would say Maynard was probably ready to leave his bus and come inside and didn't want people screaming at him or throwing things. You never know...

So the doors finally opened and I immediately went and got an even poster for the night. tonight's was about half the size of the previous stops on the tour, but did have an embossed seal on the back. From there we made our way to our seats in section 116 row U. At this point I realized I should have just taken the lower seats at the opposite end of the arena from the stage. We were up a eye level or a little above the lighting truss, so while the birds eye view of Adam was different, it would have been better to be closer to the floor.

Tweak Bird was certainly different. I thought the drummer had a lot of talent, but not a band I would go out and buy their CD. They were definitely a better opener than Melt Banana LOL.

TOOL was great as usual. Could I hav dreamed for a different setlist, of course. As mentioned during Stinkfist there were some technical issues with Maynard's mics, but other than that anything else went unnoticed from my vantage point. The crowd seemed really into it, although every time we see them it seems our section is the section that likes to sit down... WTF. My wife sat down a couple of time because her feet were swelling and back was hurting. I think there were a few times where it was myself and the guy next to me as the only people left standing in our section. No big deal, but just funny to me. Everyone already knows the highlights, etc. so there you have it.

Here are quite a few of our pics from the night. All shot with just an iphone, so no highres, sorry.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...20-%207302009/

Last edited by sinfall; 07-31-2009 at 08:02 AM..
OFFLINE |