View Single Post
dhelton's Avatar dhelton
07-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Just got back to Knoxville after the show last night. Like everybody else i was a little hesistant about the set list before the show. But I have to say, I thought it was an absolutely incredible performance. Jambi/Stinkfist/46&2 was complete delicious sensory overload scrambling the 12000 brains in attendance and opening them up for the rest of the set. Yes, arena sound sux, that's just the way it is, Tool was originally scheduled to play an ampitheatre in Alpharetta instead of the Gwinnett Arena but something happened so such is life. Sadly, from where i sat stage center in the back of the arena, Danny's drums sounded god-awful, everybody else was pretty good, Maynard was as clear and prominent as i've heard in 12 shows or so, guess it's just a matter of where you sit in these kinds of venues.

Most importantly,. all that is great about Tool, the unparallelled audio/video presentation (especially the monkey/eye thing during 46 & 2, hell yeah!), the spaced out sequences between songs, the contrast of maynards voice and phrasing with the onslaught of the band: to me all the elements were there full force, whatever glitches there were just served to bring me back to earth every once in a while. And it was beautiful to be in the back of the arena and see the enthusiam of the crowd.

I missed 10000 days tour regrettably so this was my first look at the lasers, 95 percent of the time thought they were spectacular, thought there was too much of them a couple of times toward the end of the show, maybe Junior was having a litte fun!

Thanks to the band and crew for putting this mini-tour together, i've been recovering from a near fatal car wreck for the last three months and this really made my summer. Maybe Tool will become a summer tour band like a lot of other successful bands out there, why should Widespread, DMB, and Phil Lesh have all the fun?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Just got back to Knoxville after the show last night. Like everybody else i was a little hesistant about the set list before the show. But I have to say, I thought it was an absolutely incredible performance. Jambi/Stinkfist/46&2 was complete delicious sensory overload scrambling the 12000 brains in attendance and opening them up for the rest of the set. Yes, arena sound sux, that's just the way it is, Tool was originally scheduled to play an ampitheatre in Alpharetta instead of the Gwinnett Arena but something happened so such is life. Sadly, from where i sat stage center in the back of the arena, Danny's drums sounded god-awful, everybody else was pretty good, Maynard was as clear and prominent as i've heard in 12 shows or so, guess it's just a matter of where you sit in these kinds of venues.

Most importantly,. all that is great about Tool, the unparallelled audio/video presentation (especially the monkey/eye thing during 46 & 2, hell yeah!), the spaced out sequences between songs, the contrast of maynards voice and phrasing with the onslaught of the band: to me all the elements were there full force, whatever glitches there were just served to bring me back to earth every once in a while. And it was beautiful to be in the back of the arena and see the enthusiam of the crowd.

I missed 10000 days tour regrettably so this was my first look at the lasers, 95 percent of the time thought they were spectacular, thought there was too much of them a couple of times toward the end of the show, maybe Junior was having a litte fun!

Thanks to the band and crew for putting this mini-tour together, i've been recovering from a near fatal car wreck for the last three months and this really made my summer. Maybe Tool will become a summer tour band like a lot of other successful bands out there, why should Widespread, DMB, and Phil Lesh have all the fun?
OFFLINE |