View Single Post
dendroaspis
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodini View Post
This was my 10th Tool show dating back to lollapolooza during the undertow days.

I was kind of expecting this show to be underwhelming based on the reviews of the first 3 dates...and boy if they saw this show, even as a tool vet, they were totally ON their game.

Maynard was very chatty and physical, smiled and played around more than usual. The band just seemed really pumped and upbeat (maybe cause they have tomorrow off...that helps when you look at your schedule).

I was maybe fifteen feet back from the fence, underneath justin, big tall guy with danny carey.org enochian t-shirt on with almost waist length hair (down which was a mistake considering how fucking hot it was in there). i only mention this because people kept saying, "hey the back of his shirt is the same thing "that symbol is". Must be Tool n00bs.

From my vantage point, the highlight of the show was the dueling drum solos between danny and the drummer of tweakbird during lateralus. I was so pleased i got to see a real danny carey drum solo, and that aston dude from tweakbird FLIPPED everybody out during the opening act. this dude is a real fucking old school drummer, and shit that was SWEET, when they had "TRIAD" moment similar to when the mushuggah guy did it during lateralus.

When Aston started breaking down his own kit while the lazers and electro-weirdness of sounds were going on, before vicarious, maynard said "we have people that can do that", then as aston left Maynard said, 'now get off my fucking stage"...that sounds rude in type, but it was hilarious contextually.

Being that this is likely the first real rock show at this venue, the security people on the fence were real assholes. And i've been to many many tool shows and others. Its prolly cause i'm used that concrete barn called tingley where you could walk in with needles in your arm and no one would care.

Tool was amazing tonite, and likely one of the best shows, in terms of energy, that i've seen from them in a long time. Like Jack2000 said, I knew what the set-list was going to be, but for some reason tonight, even more than in ABQ 2007, they just struck a chord of energy and simply brought it hard. singing off from farmington....
The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. Crowdsurfers literally flew over the railing before these tards even reacted...I normally count on security reactions to know when some dude is gonna come crashing over my head, but there is no way you could tell anything from these guys. When they did stand up, it was usually because they smelled some cigarette or pot smoke. When one guy stood up on the railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. They would stand there for up to a minute, pointing their little flashlights around, then finally step down. Thankfully this didn't happen in front of me too often...I was just off center, a little toward Justin. About 10 feet toward the center, they were CONSTANTLY blocking the view by standing up. They never did this for crowdsurfers though...as I mentioned, those poor fools just flew over the railing half the time.

After the show, Justin crumpled his setlist and threw it off the stage. It landed just beyond the barrier, in front of me. I asked several security guys to get it for me...finally one obliged, and promptly shoved it in his back pocket. Asshole.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.22.09 - Rio Rancho, NM @ Santa Ana Star Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodini View Post
This was my 10th Tool show dating back to lollapolooza during the undertow days.

I was kind of expecting this show to be underwhelming based on the reviews of the first 3 dates...and boy if they saw this show, even as a tool vet, they were totally ON their game.

Maynard was very chatty and physical, smiled and played around more than usual. The band just seemed really pumped and upbeat (maybe cause they have tomorrow off...that helps when you look at your schedule).

I was maybe fifteen feet back from the fence, underneath justin, big tall guy with danny carey.org enochian t-shirt on with almost waist length hair (down which was a mistake considering how fucking hot it was in there). i only mention this because people kept saying, "hey the back of his shirt is the same thing "that symbol is". Must be Tool n00bs.

From my vantage point, the highlight of the show was the dueling drum solos between danny and the drummer of tweakbird during lateralus. I was so pleased i got to see a real danny carey drum solo, and that aston dude from tweakbird FLIPPED everybody out during the opening act. this dude is a real fucking old school drummer, and shit that was SWEET, when they had "TRIAD" moment similar to when the mushuggah guy did it during lateralus.

When Aston started breaking down his own kit while the lazers and electro-weirdness of sounds were going on, before vicarious, maynard said "we have people that can do that", then as aston left Maynard said, 'now get off my fucking stage"...that sounds rude in type, but it was hilarious contextually.

Being that this is likely the first real rock show at this venue, the security people on the fence were real assholes. And i've been to many many tool shows and others. Its prolly cause i'm used that concrete barn called tingley where you could walk in with needles in your arm and no one would care.

Tool was amazing tonite, and likely one of the best shows, in terms of energy, that i've seen from them in a long time. Like Jack2000 said, I knew what the set-list was going to be, but for some reason tonight, even more than in ABQ 2007, they just struck a chord of energy and simply brought it hard. singing off from farmington....
The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. Crowdsurfers literally flew over the railing before these tards even reacted...I normally count on security reactions to know when some dude is gonna come crashing over my head, but there is no way you could tell anything from these guys. When they did stand up, it was usually because they smelled some cigarette or pot smoke. When one guy stood up on the railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. They would stand there for up to a minute, pointing their little flashlights around, then finally step down. Thankfully this didn't happen in front of me too often...I was just off center, a little toward Justin. About 10 feet toward the center, they were CONSTANTLY blocking the view by standing up. They never did this for crowdsurfers though...as I mentioned, those poor fools just flew over the railing half the time.

After the show, Justin crumpled his setlist and threw it off the stage. It landed just beyond the barrier, in front of me. I asked several security guys to get it for me...finally one obliged, and promptly shoved it in his back pocket. Asshole.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:04 AM..
OFFLINE |